Fluoride

hissingsid

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Aw, you dream crusher you.

I’ll have to stick to pretty and charming then.

To be honest AC, bringing out the old 'water can be dangerous' and trying to dress it up in chemically sounding words (hydric acid, dihydrogen monoxide, proton hydroxide etc) in order to fool those who might not twig the terminology was not your finest contribution to this thread, comedically or otherwise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

you only have to see how many people buy bottled water in the Isle of Man now ,  we used to pride ourselves on the quality of Manx water , free from chemicals , soft  and refreshing , all that will happen is the supermarkets will import more plastic bottles of water , fluoride is available with many toothpastes  and it should be an individuals choice , I don't want my food cooked in  this dangerous  chemical 

Not sure that is anything to do with the quality of tap water here.  It is more to do with an industry that sprung up over 40 years ago with 'exclusive' water (Perrier was the first, I think) to now an everyday commodity.  

Completely bonkers.  Why ship water from one area of good water quality to another of good quality as a bulk product?  Particularly when there are still huge swathes of the world whose inhabitants do not have access to parasite and disease free water.

It is just marketing and something that has irritated me for donkey's years. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure that is anything to do with the quality of tap water here.  It is more to do with an industry that sprung up over 40 years ago with 'exclusive' water (Perrier was the first, I think) to now an everyday commodity.  

Completely bonkers.

Surely part of the point of Perrier is that it is sparkling and has a specific taste related to the mineral content. Personally I prefer Badoit. But sparkling water is nice in general though sometimes.

2 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Surely part of the point of Perrier is that it is sparkling and has a specific taste related to the mineral content. Personally I prefer Badoit. But sparkling water is nice in general though sometimes.

Tastes like TV static.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:29 PM, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Depending on which sums you believe, some suggest that for each £1 spent on water fluoridation, you save £20 on subsequent healthcare costs.

It should not be about saving money. The kids with rotten teeth are not drinking water. They are having too much sugar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

Better to floss more than every few days. Unless you want rotten gums and bad breath.

The people buying mouth wash because their gums are bleeding and they have bad breath have gum disease.

8 hours ago, genericUserName said:

The majority of bottled water is just, well, plain water.  Most is sold in plastic bottles when the stuff out of the tap is fine.  As I say, just bonkers. You can fall for the marketing and develop a refined taste for water, becoming something of a connoisseur. 

OK, waste your money as you please,  but do the rest of us really need to run around with a bottle of 'Spar's Finest Spa Water' taken from the filtration plant from Southern Water's central sewage works?

Edited by Gladys
Sp.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

To be honest AC, bringing out the old 'water can be dangerous' and trying to dress it up in chemically sounding words (hydric acid, dihydrogen monoxide, proton hydroxide etc) in order to fool those who might not twig the terminology was not your finest contribution to this thread, comedically or otherwise.

The first result on Google is a Wikipedia article referring to the parody. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_parody

Even the Washington Post have done it.

I’m not clever enough to have come up with it myself.

1 hour ago, genericUserName said:

It should not be about saving money. The kids with rotten teeth are not drinking water. They are having too much sugar.

Any public health intervention considers the cost vs benefits of it.

Getting kids away from sugar would be great, but it’s a more fundamental problem.

It’d be interesting to see if the sugar tax has had any effect on tooth decay figures mind you. Though even “diet” drinks aren’t great for your teeth.