Fluoride

hissingsid

I’m not sure where I am on Fluoride. It’s definitely beneficial, and in the doses suggested in tap water non-toxic. On that basis I’m all for it. After all in some areas it’s there naturally, and nobody objects to chlorination of water or putting sodium chloride on their chips, with chlorine being the next element down in the halogen group. 

Having said that, there are those that believe we should all take statins, or aspirin, as overall that might reduce strokes and heart attacks on a population basis. Some even think we should microdose the population by putting them in the water (probably not seriously). I’d definitely object to that - I ain’t taking drugs for diseases I don’t have. So why would I accept fluoride? Discuss. 

• Like 3

Iodine in Salt?

My view these aren't medicines, they are essential minerals.

As you say there are lots of areas where fluoride is naturally in the water.

The Bread and Flour Regulations (1998) make it a legal requirement to add calcium, iron, thiamine (Vitamin B1) and niacin (Vitamin B3) to flour.

Shrugs, that's a good thing surely.

I've lived in Hong Kong, the US and had the pleasure of spending some time in Birmingham, all places where fluoridation is the norm.

All the fuss by the purity brigade is spreading fear and misinformation.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Iodine in Salt?

The Bread and Flour Regulations (1998) make it a legal requirement to add calcium, iron, thiamine (Vitamin B1) and niacin (Vitamin B3) to flour.

I've lived in Hong Kong, the US and had the pleasure of spending some time in Birmingham, all places where fluoridation is the norm.

Vitamins are essential but I don't think I'd support those going in water either.

55 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Iodine in Salt?

I somewhat agree, but what’s the difference between an essential mineral and a drug? How would you classify Lithium for example?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I somewhat agree, but what’s the difference between an essential mineral and a drug? How would you classify Lithium for example?

Helium is better...I can't speak more highly about it.

Lithium though...bad idea, used to treat all kinds of brain malfunctions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I’m not sure where I am on Fluoride. It’s definitely beneficial, and in the doses suggested in tap water non-toxic. On that basis I’m all for it. After all in some areas it’s there naturally, and nobody objects to chlorination of water or putting sodium chloride on their chips, with chlorine being the next element down in the halogen group. 

Having said that, there are those that believe we should all take statins, or aspirin, as overall that might reduce strokes and heart attacks on a population basis. Some even think we should microdose the population by putting them in the water (probably not seriously). I’d definitely object to that - I ain’t taking drugs for diseases I don’t have. So why would I accept fluoride? Discuss. 

Totally against forced mass medication, and particularly so for such meagre and questionable benefits. Even the much maligned Covid vaccines came with a choice. Naturally occurring fluoride and an industrial byproduct are also two very different things.

As for nobody objecting to the chlorination of water, we have done so on numerous occasions when the alkalinity has become so high as to adversely affect our processes. Therefore, aside from the objection in principle, I have no confidence in Utilities' competence to operate fluoridation safely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Totally against forced mass medication, and particularly so for such meagre and questionable benefits. Even the much maligned Covid vaccines came with a choice. Naturally occurring fluoride and an industrial byproduct are also two very different things.

Do you include Measles, whooping cough etc. jabs in that?

• Like 1

The arguments about fluoridation are not so much about things medical, biochemical or public health, but concerns  perceived by many in political terms -an issue about freedom of choice and the evils of overbearing government control.

Introducing iodine to salt decades ago, prevented many thousands of adult thyroid disorders and, perhaps more significantly,  the tragic, easily avoidable problem of babies born with severe mental handicap due to maternal iodine  deficiency.The condition now is extremely rare due to this simple measure.Even the diagnosis Cretin has become historic, living on only as a term of abuse. 

Obeying traffic lights, wearing seat belts, paying taxes, staying on the left side of the road - and many other things are certainly impositions on my freedom but ones that I can accept as living in a society as trade- offs because they benefit the majority.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Do you include Measles, whooping cough etc. jabs in that?

They come with a choice too. As every medical intervention should do. 

Back to the topic, we should surely be looking to change behaviours and affect outcomes. Making every child clean their teeth at the start of school before lessons begin would surely be a more effective way of addressing the situation. A lot of kids run out the door in the morning without doing so, for a variety of reasons like time, laziness, no routine etc….

We should be aiming for the target area of the population, not mass medicating everybody whether they like it or not. 

• Like 2