Niarbyl Café?

Mikimoto

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect the lack of covers may be the main problem (it's been closed so long I could remember how many there were).  I think there's not much kitchen space either, so not much scope for more expensive catering.  Anyone interested may simply find better places for their talents.

They do need to get someone in though even if for not much more than cost.

Sorry, are we talking about Manx Museum Cafe?  

Wasn’t the Museum cafe latterly before it closed run by Noah’s .? Was in just before it closed and a poor girl was trying to run it basically on her own. The food was nice but she was chasing herself sadly. Said they couldn’t get staff etc and she kept on getting promised they would be someone but seemingly never happened. I think they probably could get someone but figures wouldn’t add up if they did. 
Incidentally  she was very good , pleasant and trying her best still with a smile despite the situation.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Wasn’t the Museum cafe latterly before it closed run by Noah’s .? Was in just before it closed and a poor girl was trying to run it basically on her own. The food was nice but she was chasing herself sadly. Said they couldn’t get staff etc and she kept on getting promised they would be someone but seemingly never happened. I think they probably could get someone but figures wouldn’t add up if they did. 
Incidentally  she was very good , pleasant and trying her best still with a smile despite the situation.  

Thanks for information.  I had lunch several times there and it was always lovely, food,service and staff.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Mikimoto said:

*bump* - still nothing on Niarbyl Café?! The "late winter 2023" schedule as per the website has been and gone!

I wonder if they took the travel writers who are over for their conference down to Niarbyl to see how IOM government supports the tourist industry?

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

Good to see the signage on the main road still directing hapless travellers to the Niarbyl Cafe. How many will have travelled down the road only to return let down and frustrated by this publicly owned failure?

Has someone at least got the gumption to cover the signs? 

Edited by McCallig
can't spell
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I wonder if the took the travel writers who are over for their conference down to Niarbyl to see how IOM government supports the tourist industry?

You mean the 24 of the supposed 60 who were coming and the original 150 predicted by government? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

How many will have travelled down the road only to return let down and frustrated by this publicly owned failure? ''   

I heard that hundreds threw their selves down on to the rocks in despair!!!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You mean the 24 of the supposed 60 who were coming and the original 150 predicted by government? 

Didn't we have to actually pay for the accommodation, food and travel?  Wonder how the roi is calculated for that?

7 hours ago, jackwhite said:

They were still quoting "over 50" in yesterdays piece on Manx Radio, though how many of those were partners or whatever is another issue.  But it's certainly fewer than the 150 they were predicting last October.  And anyone who has had to deal with such familiarisation trips will know that you always get a lot of the sort of freeloaders whose journalism at best will be a very occasional unpaid column for the local freesheet.

49 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Didn't we have to actually pay for the accommodation, food and travel?  

Almost certainly and they're here for five days.  You'd like to think they would get good prices from the trade for those, but they'd probably bunged them in the Sefton at full whack.  (That may even be the point of the exercise).

I looked at a bunch of tweets from those people. They all have very nice things to say, but very little engagement, so I don't think they're especially well known travel writers. Keep your eyes out for puff pieces anyway!

On 2/8/2024 at 9:36 PM, Two-lane said:

Things will improve after the portal is installed. Unsuspecting travellers from the far side of the universe will pass through the portal - to find that the cafe is still closed.

I'm guessing that's the Manx Heritage portal....pure science fiction indeed!