Niarbyl Café?

Mikimoto

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

The4 Bayroom cafe in the museum is not up for tender, rather being offered though Chrystals for 10k pa. Maybe the same deal for Niarbyl which was expensive! Any such deal has to consider the quieter winter months and average it out over the year, same as any business .

I believe Niarbyl tenants were paying 30k pa which was not viable in post covid times, may have been OK  pre covid but later tenants were stuck with the previous rent level  but with dwindelling   custom???

Either way it's a situation that MNH have backed theirselves into, seek the best offer under the procurement system or an offer through an estate agent???

If they had followed the procurement procedure , they may have had a tenant paying less than the 10k advertised but would have been OPEN!!!

If it was £30k, I would have thought that's quite reasonable.  A warehouse industrial unit in somewhere like Middle River is a similar amount.  Certainly a few years ago, they seemed to have a wedding there almost every weekend.  Each of those would be at least £5k 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Phantom said:

If it was £30k, I would have thought that's quite reasonable.  A warehouse industrial unit in somewhere like Middle River is a similar amount.  Certainly a few years ago, they seemed to have a wedding there almost every weekend.  Each of those would be at least £5k 

It is a lot especially if you don’t get 7 day turnover 52 weeks of the year 

11 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Not £5K profit though. Staff to pay, food to buy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Be lucky if they got £15k now, it’s miles from anywhere. Ok in summer but who’s going out there in winter weekdays? Sound has all year round trade because of views, good opening hours, loads of coaches & plenty of locals 

21 hours ago, Kopek said:

The4 Bayroom cafe in the museum is not up for tender, rather being offered though Chrystals for 10k pa. Maybe the same deal for Niarbyl which was expensive! Any such deal has to consider the quieter winter months and average it out over the year, same as any business .

It was advertised through Chrystals in the Spring apparently, but there obviously was anyone interested enough.  It chugged along for years, so I don't know why it's less attractive now.

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It was advertised through Chrystals in the Spring apparently, but there obviously was anyone interested enough.  It chugged along for years, so I don't know why it's less attractive now.

It was a lovely space for a cafe. But it's only 6ish tables (and with the museum trade you probably have quite a few single moochers), people don't consider it car parking friendly and it's not on a pedestrian thoroughfare. So tough commercial ask..

12 hours ago, The Phantom said:

f it was £30k, I would have thought that's quite reasonable. 

Even on a 300k t/o a back of a fag packet with the staff requirements, H&L, food purchasing would leave very little in the way of profit???

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

so I don't know why it's less attractive now.

Possibly because the guarantee of a profit was not obvious?

POst Covid, something strange happened at the MUseum, a severe lack of attendance, there was a pre covid expectation that the majority of customers to the cafe would be Museum visitors making it hard to attract customers from 'outside' for fear of there not being space for the museum visitors !!! Which was expected from MNH.

13 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I think you may find a wedding reception is quite a bit more than £5k.  A starting point is probably nearer £20,000.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

£200 a week is a lot to find  especially with a limited foot fall , just too many coffee shops and low price eateries in town all competing for the same customer   , now its a wonder anyone makes a living 

48 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I think you may find a wedding reception is quite a bit more than £5k.  A starting point is probably nearer £20,000.

I think the catering part of that would be much less???

You Women and your 20k quid dresses, Pah!

10 hours ago, Kopek said:

I think the catering part of that would be much less???

You Women and your 20k quid dresses, Pah!

No, Mr Kopek, the price of a wedding reception in at least one  venue is £20k recently, a price for one of my younger family members.

Ooooh, a 20k dress.  My only claim to an expensive frock is my Tom Ford creation quite a few years ago. :D

Edited by Lilly
Spelling
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mercenary said:

It was a lovely space for a cafe. But it's only 6ish tables (and with the museum trade you probably have quite a few single moochers), people don't consider it car parking friendly and it's not on a pedestrian thoroughfare. So tough commercial ask..

I suspect the lack of covers may be the main problem (it's been closed so long I could remember how many there were).  I think there's not much kitchen space either, so not much scope for more expensive catering.  Anyone interested may simply find better places for their talents.

They do need to get someone in though even if for not much more than cost.