Niarbyl Café?

Mikimoto

Sorry to go against the flow here, but I'm not sure that the location and business model work well for a private sector tenant.  I remember when it reopened after a complete refit in the early noughties, the tenant had 'fine' dining in the evenings.  Nobody went, so they replicated the lunchtime menu of burgers etc. at night.  Nobody went.  You will get my drift.

We locals might all think that the place is in a stunning location and that an eatery should therefore be viable during the day ("in season").  But is it?

Maintenance of the building is another matter, and looks like soemone forgot.  Back to my main theme though, if the rent is much more than a peppercorn, I would see the operation as risky from the financial perspective.

5 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Sorry to go against the flow here, but I'm not sure that the location and business model work well for a private sector tenant.  I remember when it reopened after a complete refit in the early noughties, the tenant had 'fine' dining in the evenings.  Nobody went, so they replicated the lunchtime menu of burgers etc. at night.  Nobody went.  You will get my drift.

We locals might all think that the place is in a stunning location and that an eatery should therefore be viable during the day ("in season").  But is it?

Maintenance of the building is another matter, and looks like soemone forgot.  Back to my main theme though, if the rent is much more than a peppercorn, I would see the operation as risky from the financial perspective.

According to the Facebook the most recent tenant seemed to chug along OK until the tenancy ended in early 2023.  So MNH seem to have sat on their hands for a year for some reason.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Since when have IOMG done something that makes sense. Yes, that building needs refurbishing, I dread to think of how many £ms will be spent. 

It's Manx National Heritage not Isle of Man Government property.

9 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's Manx National Heritage not Isle of Man Government property.

Splitting hairs really,

On a day to day basis the Trust operates at ‘arms length’ from Government, however, we do receive Government support, which helps fulfil our statutory functions and contribute to  objectives for the culture, heritage and economy of the Island.

41 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Splitting hairs really,

On a day to day basis the Trust operates at ‘arms length’ from Government, however, we do receive Government support, which helps fulfil our statutory functions and contribute to  objectives for the culture, heritage and economy of the Island.

Not splitting hairs, it will be a MNH decision on what works are to be done and if they have the money to do it.  Not an IOMG decision. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not splitting hairs, it will be a MNH decision on what works are to be done and if they have the money to do it.  Not an IOMG decision. 

I’m sure they have lots of money from commercial activities, and the many legacies, which may come their way.

However I for one, would really object if my taxes were given to MNH, and they were squandered, whilst the taxpayers have no redress, and IOMG hide behind Arms Length, or trot out that old favourite phrase ‘commercially confidential’. 

I would also hope that the politico who sits on the board of trustees of MNH, has the Manx Taxpayers interests at heart, especially in these economically challenging times. 

As much as this building is historically important (to some), the question should be asked, is it vital in the grand scheme of things? 

7 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

After negotiating the unkempt coastal footpaths, why not treat yourself to the complete let down of another 'closed' sign?

Shhh. It's not unkempt it's 'the sustainable rewilding of the biosphere'. If you are lucky instead of a DoI guy in hi-viz romper suit weilding a strimmer keeping the footpath clear (soooo 20th Century!), you'll spot the butterfly net wielding lesser-spotted DEFA employee in knitted dungarees and clogs.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Wouldn’t even make enough to pay for the toilets and one member of staff in the van.

Toilets should be provided at these places by IOMG, enough visitors go there, just let an operator of van use site free of charge, weekends during May-September is enough