Temperate rainforests to be restored in Wales and Isle of Man

Roxanne

42 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

The costs will be met by the wild life trust.

There are some things worth spending on.

Anything that ensures the continuation of native species is a good thing.

Topping up the reservoir and helping with water retention on the uplands will help with both water shortage and flooding.

It's money well spent.

The bonus is that being carried out by experts - no government involvement.

It's East Baldwin, so the water will end up flushing through Tromode and Hill's Meadow. Not particularly high ground either.

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You’re obsessed. 😀

Well, any kind of aquatic mammal to be honest.  Otters, seals, dolphins, I'm not picky. 

I once convinced a bimbo I was chatting up that my job was waxing dolphins in Aquariums. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Was out fishing with pals at the reservoir near Tholt y Will, havent really been there much before.

I was gobsmacked by all the trees that had been felled on the opposite side. Why is that?

Ballaugh Plantation? If the contract hadn't run out of money and the UK contractors taken their leave, a lot more would have been gone, all down to "disease" apparently, though odd clumps of trees are still left standing in places.

Walk up there from the top of Ballaugh Glen road and feast your eyes on the destruction that local contractors are still trying to tidy up. An absolute disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I see. I'm not sure I understand that claim they are making. Maybe the trees draw extra water from the sky. Maybe ( more seriously) the cover reduces evaporation. 

I suspect it's more about evening out flow.  More planting of trees (like more peat bog) retains more rain when it falls and then releases it gradually.  Rather than it all flooding down to the sea through overflows.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I once convinced a bimbo I was chatting up that my job was waxing dolphins in Aquariums. 

She probably thought it was a euphemism.  (It was a euphemism, wasn't it?).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect it's more about evening out flow.  More planting of trees (like more peat bog) retains more rain when it falls and then releases it gradually.  Rather than it all flooding down to the sea through overflows.

She probably thought it was a euphemism.  (It was a euphemism, wasn't it?).

Yeah it will be something to do with slowing down the transfer of the water from the catchment area into the river.  Mitigates flooding somewhat, realistically the same amount of water will enter the river, just over a longer period of time.  Beavers also (seriously) do the same thing.   There was an interesting article on BBC yesterday about re-wiggling rivers to also achieve a similar outcome.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65341994

Regarding the waxed dolphins, I'm not actually sure myself.  Initially it was a joke, but incredibly she believed me, so I just ran with it! 

• Haha 1