Paying a pound to pound the beat..

Manx Bean

Ex Chief Constable Gary Roberts has spoken...

I’d been determined to keep out of current issues, but this whole thing is really sad. When it was first mooted I met the then council leader, who was sympathetic and the idea was rightly discounted. The council’s decision is a poor one. Councillor Bentley sets things out well.

• Haha 1

It’s good to see him finally taking things seriously. 

I’ve actually changed my stance on this issue now I know the facts. There were a lot of options here but DBC haven’t chosen the best. It’s only a quid, but still, it’s the principle. A simple permit for emergency workers would have covered it. 

There was an issue with dumped vehicles there. The greatest offender was old vans and motorhomes. It’s didn’t look good and something needed to be done. £1 a day is nothing in the scheme of things and £10 a day for motorhomes will put off people who just used it as a dump. 

Don’t be unkind to me today @offshoremanxman. The love of my life died yesterday and I’m very upset. 

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They suggested doing it 30-odd years ago with a view to boosting the economies of other areas, unrest and the circulation of petitions against within Govt was the result. Proposal sank without trace, big lobby is the CS 😉. Nearest thing to it happening was components of DEFA getting moved to St John's.

Another option would be to bring all government departments together and see how many people/reception areas/car parks we really need.

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

That car park has been free to park in for as long as I’ve been alive. There doesn’t seem to be a big issue with dumped cars there either. 

Yeah, the notion that a nominal charge for legal vehicles will somehow deter rogues from dumping vehicles there is fanciful at best. There's obviously a different reason for it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I'm confused. If the councillors are all now saying they're against it following the backlash, what's the point in councillors?

It seems to be that they are hiding behind the fact that the vote on this was in 2019 so several of the people on council weren’t even councillors then. Bentley is claiming he didn’t vote for it. Quite why it’s taken nearly 4 years for them to implement one of the shittest ideas they’ve ever had is genuinely baffling though? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

They aren’t it was 6-2 in favour wasn’t it?

Seems so, but years ago.

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It seems to be that they are hiding behind the fact that the vote on this was in 2019 so several of the people on council weren’t even councillors then. Bentley is claiming he didn’t vote for it. Quite why it’s taken nearly 4 years for them to implement one of the shittest ideas they’ve ever had is genuinely baffling though? 

In my view, things voted on in previous council if not enacted within that period should be null and void. It should be for the presently elected officials to decide on implementation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

In my view, things voted on in previous council if not enacted within that period should be null and void. It should be for the presently elected officials to decide on implementation.

Time and time again they just make themselves look like absolute clowns. Now the police aren’t onside either it’s hard to find a group of people in Douglas that they haven’t actively set out to piss off. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Time and time again they just make themselves look like absolute clowns. Now the police aren’t onside either it’s hard to find a group of people in Douglas that they haven’t actively set out to piss off. 

Well let's get this straight;

They fake fake emails.

They want to put additional pressure on the police despite https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-64516404 etc

They force poor and vulnerable residents to sell their houses for cheap for their own individual gains.

Am I missing anything?

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1