Sigh

Weliveinhope

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Yeah but they have the capability to learn and have a reason to drive, 65 year olds + ? Nah not worth it for anyone.

happy diners graph suggests the that if the pensioners were diving the youth around the roads would be safer,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

There is of course an answer to all of this, fit all cars with GPS and then we could have actual facts and data, track speeds automatically fine poor driving and reward good drivers like me,

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We only have your opinion to go on - and I’m guessing you might be a bit biased…

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

happy diners graph suggests the that if the pensioners were diving the youth around the roads would be safer,

You miss the obvious fact that old people have no reason to be on the roads in the first place.

As suggested put GPS in all cars, I know a few friends in the UK who have this to reduce premiums, they even have an app that sends them notifications telling them when they have lost points or if they have been driving well. There are solutions just need to implement them. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Omobono said:

if we get anymore speed limits creeping in   it wont matter what age the drivers are ,  it will be a red flag in front  of all motorcars  if everyone had to be tested here   at £100  a pop you would need 100 more examiners and an even bigger test centre , and drivers waiting years on a list ,

its the R plate brigade  that have the highest road accident statistics  and they are the ones  who most recently had a driving test ,  not the old  brigade 

you cant beat experience  and self preservation   when driving a car or motorcycle on Manx roads ,

You can’t beat experience, self preservation, good eyesight, good reactions, and up to date knowledge of the Highway Code and a proper understanding of how to drive a modern vehicle.

Relying on experience is not sufficient 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Not so much a fact as your opinion.   Not sure what you based that opinion upon, other than your curious bias against the elderly.

Old people don’t drive for work, don’t drive delivery vehicles etc.. they do less miles than younger people and often on quieter roads.  It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that skews the stats in their (your?) favour.

5 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You miss the obvious fact that old people have no reason to be on the roads in the first place.

As suggested put GPS in all cars, I know a few friends in the UK who have this to reduce premiums, they even have an app that sends them notifications telling them when they have lost points or if they have been driving well. There are solutions just need to implement them. 

I have an app on the phone that records any speeds over 80 for more than 39 seconds, hard braking, rapid acceleration and phone usage while driving.

High speed doesn’t bother me as it’s not necessarily a sign of dangerous or poor driving.  Hard braking  is a real indicator of lack of awareness.

I don’t see why anyone would object to a black box type device in their vehicle.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We only have your opinion to go on - and I’m guessing you might be a bit biased…

As I said, I am happy to have a GPS device fitted then facts rule, I also cycle and run so more aware of the risk as a driver I pose to other road users who have equal rights. 

32 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Old people don’t drive for work, don’t drive delivery vehicles etc.. they do less miles than younger people and often on quieter roads.  

Maybe so, although that wouldn't necessarily apply to all of them: but even if it did, that doesn't mean that they have "no reason to be on the roads", to quote Vibey...

32 minutes ago, Ativa said:

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that skews the stats in their (your?) favour

Not skewed in my favour, as it happens: you don't have to be elderly yourself to object to blatant ageism - or would you disagree?

Edited by Jarndyce
added a qualifier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

If you were doing it evidence based wouldn't it be regular testing for motorbike licenses as that's where the disproportionate number of deaths/serious injuries are...

Every license holder in every class should have to do a regular retest.

34 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Old people don’t drive for work, don’t drive delivery vehicles etc.. they do less miles than younger people and often on quieter roads.  It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that skews the stats in their (your?) favour.

I have an app on the phone that records any speeds over 80 for more than 39 seconds, hard braking, rapid acceleration and phone usage while driving.

High speed doesn’t bother me as it’s not necessarily a sign of dangerous or poor driving.  Hard braking  is a real indicator of lack of awareness.

I don’t see why anyone would object to a black box type device in their vehicle.

Bragging about high speeds on the IOM roads -  that are not engineered for high speeds -  marks you out as a BMW Driver - AKA - Dickhead

I would wager you are a BMW/ AUDI driver too given your posting style...............

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I wonder how much of this is to pay for the shiny new (and completely unnecessary) test centre?

That was reputedly a major investment to save employment on the Island. Swagelok had allegedly threatened to pull out of the Island if they didn't get the old Test Centre site for expansion (As I was advised by a TC employee who also opines that the new facility is completely inadequate for any expanded testing regime to include many current requirements).

• Thanks 1