Sigh

Weliveinhope

talking about reviewing options , I took a Bus yesterday from the hospital to Douglas  which went via Onchan  and the promenade ,  it got stuck behind a horse tram along with  40 other vehicles  ,all the way from the crescent to broadway , remind me what idiot measured the distance from the rails  to the edge of the highway so as to allow traffic to pass on the inside of the tram ,  I wont get caught like that again ,  what a Joke !

• Like 2

@HiVibes I know that stupidity isn’t limited to you on here, and that you troll a lot, and try and get a rise.

Let’s get some facts first.

6% of all drivers are 17-25 years old. 94% are 26-90+.

20% of all road deaths in cars are in the 17-25 age category.

Im all in favour of driving licences for under 26’s to only last a year, annual testing, 900cc max engine size, no passengers under 26, and a gps recorded max speed of 40mph.

Id also be in favour of ten year testing up to 70 and every 5 to 80 and every 3 after 80.

GPS in every car for insurance, and accessible with court order after any accident or relevant stop for driving standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@HiVibes I know that stupidity isn’t limited to you on here, and that you troll a lot, and try and get a rise.

Im all in favour of driving licences for under 26’s to only last a year, annual testing, 900cc max engine size, no passengers under 26, and a gps recorded max speed of 40mph.

Id also be in favour of ten year testing up to 70 and every 5 to 80 and every 3 after 80.

GPS in every car for insurance, and accessible with court order after any accident or relevant stop for driving standards.

i think your no passengers under 26 needs some clarity ,  there are quite a few 'couples' under 26 years of age and plenty of drivers under 26 with kids,     you can't realistically want people to go out in a vehicle without their partners or kids cos they aren't 26 yet..    

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

i think your no passengers under 26 needs some clarity ,  there are quite a few 'couples' under 26 years of age and plenty of drivers under 26 with kids,     you can't realistically want people to go out in a vehicle without their partners or kids cos they aren't 26 yet..    

According to HiVibes there are lots and lots of buses.

I agree the proposed rule could have carve outs for spouse/partner and carrying children.

20 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

John, there comes a time for everything, if you can't even notice all the buses on the roads its definitely time to hand your keys in.

HaHa. When you learn to read and comprehend! Did I contradict you, say that there weren’t?

20 hours ago, Ativa said:

All true.  Swagelock are expanding onto the old test centre site and would have pulled out of the island of not able to.

Its all good,

Swagelok are completely ruthless in that regard. They probably can’t believe their luck having their MD on a Government Board (DFE).

Perhaps no coincidence that DFE bent over backwards to help them off the back of a promise of 100 new jobs or some such nonsense. it’s more likely the tax returns are the main driver. Huge value difference between the raw materials which arrive here and the finished product. Always been the way with Manx manufacturing 

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Wtf do you think 900cc engine size will achieve and how on earth would it be implemented?  Can my son still drive his work van?

This might be the most stupid post I have read.

Yes, younger people are involved in more accident, that is due to inexperience and bravado.

They are also the most qualified on the roads as they have just been though an up to date test.  Regular rest eating would achieve nothing in that age group as they could easily revert back to “test mode”.

Could a forty or fifty year old do that?  Could an old duffer in his 70s who doesn’t really understand the implications of driving with ABS, ESC etc?  The old boy would probably still try and steer into oversteer in his modern car and get spat off the road when the ESC kicks in, or cadence brake.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Wtf do you think 900cc engine size will achieve and how on earth would it be implemented?  Can my son still drive his work van?

This might be the most stupid post I have read.

Yes, younger people are involved in more accident, that is due to inexperience and bravado.

They are also the most qualified on the roads as they have just been though an up to date test.  Regular rest eating would achieve nothing in that age group as they could easily revert back to “test mode”.

Could a forty or fifty year old do that?  Could an old duffer in his 70s who doesn’t really understand the implications of driving with ABS, ESC etc?  The old boy would probably still try and steer into oversteer in his modern car and get spat off the road when the ESC kicks in, or cadence brake.

How do you enforce R plates? It’s no difference. Sure there can be carve outs for work vehicles. Vehicles for under 26 could have speed or power limiters as mandatory. You back up by GPS, and if they are driving illegally there won’t be insurance cover.

The fact remains that the drivers in 17-25 age group, despite being only one in 16 drivers, represent one in 5 deaths. That’s a three times over representation.

Being fitted with something that measures and records location, speed, acceleration, deceleration, as well as time of day, and is taken into account for regular licence renewal as well as premium calculation looks a good option for all ages.

IMG_4759.jpeg

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

eing fitted with something that measures and records location, speed, acceleration, deceleration, as well as time of day, and is taken into account for regular licence renewal as well as premium calculation looks a good option for all ages.

Agreed.  Together with regular retests for everyone.

They should be less frequent for the youngsters who have just done their test and become more frequent as people get older and their knowledge is more out of date and they start to lose their faculties and eyesight.

I have been in modern cars with old duffers who can’t even work the radio.

Edited by Ativa
  • Confused 1