Sigh

Weliveinhope

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I only do a couple of thousand miles a year in my thundering V8, Ringy might do ten times that in his/her Fiesta but pay much less tax - it's nuts but I can't change it.

I've just paid £724 to tax a vehicle which will do probably 1,500 miles in the next year.

Unpleasant.

34 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I've just paid £724 to tax a vehicle which will do probably 1,500 miles in the next year.

Unpleasant.

It's ok, Stu says it's not affecting the cost of living...

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Not sure where you're getting the "car tax hasn't increased for years" bit from!

Straight from one of the bods at DOI, who are known to lie to ministers, just ask Tim.

Stu, just have a look at the increased in car tax over the last ten years.  Dont blindly believe the civil servants.

6 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Straight from one of the bods at DOI, who are known to lie to ministers, just ask Tim.

Stu, just have a look at the increased in car tax over the last ten years.  Dont blindly believe the civil servants.

I always put the new tax disc on top of the old one so always have a point of reference, it always amuses me when compering the new price against their fantasy percentage figures!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's ok, Stu says it's not affecting the cost of living...

I try not to make a fuss because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, but it is going to cost me more to tax than fuel my car this year. And it does 18mpg on a good day. I can't see why it isn't just on top of fuel, as that seems the most equitable (and easy to administer??) approach. But perhaps I'm missing something.

48 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Unpleasant.

You must be either 

1. Have a car with a big engine which is very polluting but don't use it much or

2. Very wealthy or

Both

You have a choice.  Some folks don't. 

Vehicle licencimg has become a tax on wealth.  Is that right or wrong? Not sure..

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

I try not to make a fuss because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, but it is going to cost me more to tax than fuel my car this year. And it does 18mpg on a good day. I can't see why it isn't just on top of fuel, as that seems the most equitable (and easy to administer??) approach. But perhaps I'm missing something.

Stu mentioned earlier some spiel from DOI about vat sharing agreements preventing it.  Sounds like it's either more profitable this way, or they are too lazy to implement it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

You must be either 

1. Have a car with a big engine which is very polluting but don't use it much or

2. Very wealthy or

Both

Vehicle licencimg has become a tax on wealth.  Is that right or wrong? Not sure..

I'm not sure it's accurately a tax on wealth, particularly given the rate for EVs...

My car wasn't particularly expensive (~20k, which I appreciate also falls firmly outside of "cheap", but I have few other vices). It does put out a fair quantity of CO2 though.

Just now, Happier diner said:

You must be either 

2. Very wealthy or

Both

Not necessarily, when I was young and skint big engined cars were always dirt cheap to buy and were all I could afford then I'd take a hammering on fuel and tax.

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Stu mentioned earlier some spiel from DOI about vat sharing agreements preventing it.  Sounds like it's either more profitable this way, or they are too lazy to implement it.

Of course it's more profitable that's why they're doing it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

I always put the new tax disc on top of the old one so always have a point of reference, it always amuses me when compering the new price against their fantasy percentage figures!

It's gone up by the rate of inflation every year in recent years anyway hasn't it? Interspersed with odd years when there were revisions involving bigger rises, there's threads on these boards on the subject going back to 2006.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

It's gone up by the rate of inflation every year in recent years anyway hasn't it? Interspersed with odd years when there were revisions involving bigger rises, there's threads on these boards on the subject going back to 2006.

Many of those years since 2006 the increases were well into double figures.

• Like 1