Sigh

Weliveinhope

44 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm not sure it's accurately a tax on wealth, particularly given the rate for EVs...

My car wasn't particularly expensive (~20k, which I appreciate also falls firmly outside of "cheap", but I have few other vices). It does put out a fair quantity of CO2 though.

Seems it's fair enough then?

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Seems it's fair enough then?

That depends what it's supposed to tax.

If you want it to be a wealth tax, put it on the price of the vehicle (and probably fuel use).

If you want it to be a "green" tax, put it on fuel use (encourages alternative transport, charges more or less in line with emissions, with some caveats around diesel and catalytic converters).

If you want it to do neither of those things particularly effectively or equitably, but do want it to bring in money and require employment of civil servants to administer, probably leave it how it is.

You’re right and I was wrong - car tax HAS gone up, I was confusing it with the other licensing fee increases, hence the comment it won’t affect people much. Apologies, I will contemplate seppuku tomorrow if I can find a kimono, although with my memory I will hopefully have forgotten the blade…

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You’re right and I was wrong - car tax HAS gone up, I was confusing it with the other licensing fee increases, hence the comment it won’t affect people much. Apologies, I will contemplate seppuku tomorrow if I can find a kimono, although with my memory I will hopefully have forgotten the blade…

if you need any help ?????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Apologising for getting something (almost) right is probably good DoI practice as it will take up much less time than apologising for when they get something wrong.  In this case if by saying "Car tax hasn't been increased for years" you meant vehicle duty, then it hadn't gone up since May 2020 (ie 3 years) so that was true, at least up to the start of this month.

And as I pointed out when the increases were first proposed, the vehicle duty went up by 10% over those three years[1], while the CPI over the same period rose by 17.6% and RPI by 20.6% (updated figures).  So car owners are getting a better deal than everyone else.  Not that that stops them whinging, so I reckon you should just double it every year as they're going complain whatever.

[1]  Unless it's so low that even now you're only paying £65 a year.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You’re right and I was wrong - car tax HAS gone up, I was confusing it with the other licensing fee increases, hence the comment it won’t affect people much.

So, incredibly, what we appear to have here is an admission from a Departmental member to the effect that he doesn't know that his own Dept is raising taxation rates. The next question Stu, is what else don't you know that your Department is doing?

The DOI must absolutely love you and Chris Thomas, it must be the most compliant putty it's ever been given to play with.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

So, incredibly, what we appear to have here is an admission from a Departmental member to the effect that he doesn't know that his own Dept is raising taxation rates. The next question Stu, is what else don't you know that your Department is doing?

The DOI must absolutely love you and Chris Thomas, it must be the most compliant putty it's ever been given to play with.

Perhaps you can give me lessons on how to be perfect and never make mistakes. I post on here for the craic, so I rely on my Biden memory and can't be arsed double checking everything before I post, but I always take it on the chin when I'm proved wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Perhaps you can give me lessons on how to be perfect and never make mistakes. I post on here for the craic, so I rely on my Biden memory and can't be arsed double checking everything before I post, but I always take it on the chin when I'm proved wrong.

Sorry Stu, I'm just another increasingly hard-pressed taxpayer on this Island who's not happy with the explanations and the answers of where my obligatory donations to IoMG actually go. And where I do see them going doesn't impress me either, particularly given some of the candour that you've been good enough to exhibit which supports the opinions of myself and others.0

There are too many people with knowledge of govt who are now openly admitting that things are out of control and the democratic system is no longer functioning as it should. Given your own accordance with this, pre-election, one would hope that you would step up to the plate and start seriously challenging some of what is going on rather than supporting and excusing it which appears to be your current stance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Sorry Stu, I'm just another increasingly hard-pressed taxpayer on this Island who's not happy with the explanations and the answers of where my obligatory donations to IoMG actually go. And where I do see them going doesn't impress me either, particularly given some of the candour that you've been good enough to exhibit which supports the opinions of myself and others.0

There are too many people with knowledge of govt who are now openly admitting that things are out of control and the democratic system is no longer functioning as it should. Given your own accordance with this, pre-election, one would hope that you would step up to the plate and start seriously challenging some of what is going on rather than supporting and excusing it which appears to be your current stance.

Revolution?

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

he can be the next peter karran  , without the hair.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Perhaps you can give me lessons on how to be perfect and never make mistakes. I post on here for the craic, so I rely on my Biden memory and can't be arsed double checking everything before I post,

But you are paid £71,000 a year to represent the electorate. You are no longer just a man in the street. Everything you say, and more particularly everything you write, will be analysed and commented on.

You want the income, but you still just want to have fun with the lads.

Some time ago Allinson, when trying to justify something or other, said that as an MHK he effectively was on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That is a bit over-the-top, but in general, is correct - when you post here you post as an MHK. You are paid the money, so make the effort. Saying that you "can't be arsed" is not acceptable and is insulting to the people paying your wages.

If you want to have fun and talk crap, go to the pub - public bar, maybe they don't give a damn... (and don't post the video on YouTube).

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

But you are paid £71,000 a year to represent the electorate. You are no longer just a man in the street. Everything you say, and more particularly everything you write, will be analysed and commented on.

You want the income, but you still just want to have fun with the lads.

Some time ago Allinson, when trying to justify something or other, said that as an MHK he effectively was on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That is a bit over-the-top, but in general, is correct - when you post here you post as an MHK. You are paid the money, so make the effort. Saying that you "can't be arsed" is not acceptable and is insulting to the people paying your wages.

If you want to have fun and talk crap, go to the pub - public bar, maybe they don't give a damn... (and don't post the video on YouTube).

Thank you for your advice. However, on this occasion I'll regretfully decline to take it and ask anyone who objects to me posting on MF as 'one of the lads' to block me and save any future upset.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1