Planning

Ativa

With various developers and private individuals poised ready to spend tens, if not hundreds of millions of pounds in the local economy, does anyone have any idea why the planning committee are only meeting monthly at the moment, and why the last meeting only discussed a handful of minor applications?

No wonder people give up trying to invest here, there is a fortune sat ready to be spent that would help the island in so many ways of goverment pulled their finger out and got some of the pending applications pushed through.

Developers are expected to fork out fortunes just to get plans in front of the planners, and they can’t be bothered to staff the department sufficiently to get things through in a reasonable timeframe.

Upcoming committee meeting dates below.

• 11 April 2023
  • 24 April 2023
  • 22 May 2023
  • 19 June 2023
  • 10 July 2023
  • 24 July 2023
  • 7 August 2023
  • 21 August 2023
  • 4 September 2023
  • 18 September 2023
  • 2 October 2023
  • 16 October 2023
  • 6 November 2023
  • 20 November 2023
  • 4 December 2023
  • 18 December 2023
Edited by Ativa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like a PATI request of ALL staff in planning&building control employees, request for their proof of their formal professional qualifications.

I'm sure there would be a similarity to many of the unlicensed tractor drivers roaming the roads.

Civil Service - epitome of protectionism.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JohnSmithBda said:

I would like a PATI request of ALL staff in planning&building control employees, request for their proof of their formal professional qualifications.

I'm sure there would be a similarity to many of the unlicensed tractor drivers roaming the roads.

Civil Service - epitome of protectionism.

Me too, been dealing with one for a while now who appears to be a total moron. I’m on the cusp of asking for the fees I paid back as they have provided absolutely no form of service in relation to the matter at hand. 

• Like 2

Planners have way too much power and one or two of them flex that power beyond the realms of decency. The Minister seems to be oblivious and will sign anything, it seems to me.

32 minutes ago, JohnSmithBda said:

Omg that sounds terrible. How many of them are there? I didn't even know that was something I should be worried about. I'm going to shake my fist at the next tractor driver I see. Just in case. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

With various developers and private individuals poised ready to spend tens, if not hundreds of millions of pounds in the local economy, does anyone have any idea why the planning committee are only meeting monthly at the moment, and why the last meeting only discussed a handful of minor applications?

No wonder people give up trying to invest here, there is a fortune sat ready to be spent that would help the island in so many ways of goverment pulled their finger out and got some of the pending applications pushed through.

Developers are expected to fork out fortunes just to get plans in front of the planners, and they can’t be bothered to staff the department sufficiently to get things through in a reasonable timeframe.

• 11 April 2023
  • 24 April 2023
  • 22 May 2023
  • 19 June 2023
  • 10 July 2023
  • 24 July 2023
  • 7 August 2023
  • 21 August 2023
  • 4 September 2023
  • 18 September 2023
  • 2 October 2023
  • 16 October 2023
  • 6 November 2023
  • 20 November 2023
  • 4 December 2023
  • 18 December 2023

Perhaps they should deal with the unfinished projects first and start demanding project deposits on planning approval to cover the costs of smartening up those sites once they've been left abandoned (Duke street for starters).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

• 11 April 2023
  • 24 April 2023
  • 22 May 2023
  • 19 June 2023
  • 10 July 2023
  • 24 July 2023
  • 7 August 2023
  • 21 August 2023
  • 4 September 2023
  • 18 September 2023
  • 2 October 2023
  • 16 October 2023
  • 6 November 2023
  • 20 November 2023
  • 4 December 2023
  • 18 December 2023

I understood that they only dealt with % of applications although not sure how many, have you asked your MHK, planning department or Ashford who is chairman?

Not sure if you're aware from the post, but only certain things go to the committee. I.e objections or those of special interest. 

On the committee qualifications, they don't have any, or certainly don't need to. There was an ad a few weeks ago to join it and it didn't require any formal qualifications.

Having been through the process a few times, it's not the most modern, but I haven't actually had any issues with them to be fair. It's just too antiquated and drawn out.

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Not sure if you're aware from the post, but only certain things go to the committee. I.e objections or those of special interest. 

On the committee qualifications, they don't have any, or certainly don't need to. There was an ad a few weeks ago to join it and it didn't require any formal qualifications.

Having been through the process a few times, it's not the most modern, but I haven't actually had any issues with them to be fair. It's just too antiquated and drawn out.

I am fully aware of what goes to the committee.

The whole system is not fit for purpose.

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Perhaps they should deal with the unfinished projects first and start demanding project deposits on planning approval to cover the costs of smartening up those sites once they've been left abandoned (Duke street for starters).

The company ran out of money.

If they start taking huge deposits off everyone then even less will get done

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

I am fully aware of what goes to the committee.

The whole system is not fit for purpose.

If you’re fully aware of what goes to committee why are you asking why they are only discussing a few minor applications?

Thats not true anyway they discussed & declined the newsons application which is being appealed 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Agree it needs modernisation.

The timescales are the main issue. 

Needs automation. Don't know what % are for trivial things like satellite dishes, sheds etc. but surely that doesn't need any human intervention unless there is an objection. Same with posting the required planning notice for 30(?) days, take a photo (unique QR code on the notice and phones GPS verify location corresponds to the application) and receipt of the valid proof starts the 30 day timer.

If at any point there is an objection made in the right timeframe the basics such as location of objector (i.e address/postcode) being relevant could all be established before any human need get involved in the process. It is not rocket science, it's a process and 90% of it can be automated.

Alternatively, review the neccessity of approving things like sheds and satelite dishes or solar panels etc. if there is no adjacent property within line of sight or it's more than 10m from a boundary. 

Or do both simplify and automate.    

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Needs automation. Don't know what % are for trivial things like satellite dishes, sheds etc. but surely that doesn't need any human intervention unless there is an objection. Same with posting the required planning notice for 30(?) days, take a photo (unique QR code on the notice and phones GPS verify location corresponds to the application) and receipt of the valid proof starts the 30 day timer.

If at any point there is an objection made in the right timeframe the basics such as location of objector (i.e address/postcode) being relevant could all be established before any human need get involved in the process. It is not rocket science, it's a process and 90% of it can be automated.

Alternatively, review the neccessity of approving things like sheds and satelite dishes or solar panels etc. if there is no adjacent property within line of sight or it's more than 10m from a boundary. 

Or do both simplify and automate.    

All reasonable proposals. 

Of course the argument will be cost.

No idea how much it would be to set up a system like that.

Edited by jackwhite