Should Ashie keep his MBE for leadership of the department during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Broadcasterman

Should Ashford’s MBE go?   

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think you’re going back to how it was at a particular point in time. It hasn’t been that way for about 20 years now. It’s the CEOs and the CS who run the silos not the Ministers.

Genuinely, I'm not.  Think - Killip, Charters, Corlett, Couch, Barr, Murray, Malone, Black then Greenhow - all since 2014 IIRC.

24 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But all you did is mention some names and provided no context - half of them at least were incompetent so what has that got to do with Ministers?

You had said, "I think you’re going back to how it was at a particular point in time. It hasn’t been that way for about 20 years".  I showed you that wasn't true.

21 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

No you didn’t. You simply mentioned some names. Most of whom were incompetent anyway and some probably deserved to have been fired so in what way does that suggest the Ministers run the show not the CS? I can’t see the correlation all.

Particularly in the case of Killip as that was after a full report by the Tynwald Standards and Members Interests Committee. Nothing to do with the Minister unilaterally.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/health-chief-exec-and39should-be-censuredand39/

Let's agree to differ.  There is evidence of some muscle-flexing by Comin, and there is plenty of evidence of senior civil servants leading the politicos by the nose.  How's that?

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, hampsterkahn said:

What a damning indictment of anyone’s credibility.

Matters not a jot, when someone has skin as thick as a rhinoceros, and government colleagues prepared to overlook the lack of credibility of one of their own !

• Like 1

RANSON: TYNWALD MEMBERS COLLECTIVELY LOST THEIR HUMANITY
I suppose it's rather appropriate that Tynwald are moving on to biblical matters with the apparent concern that the Bishop should suffer a ‘late Easter’ and be turfed out of the place. I’m sure that ‘his Grace’ will not be a great loss if he is suddenly sent back to the manse however before leaving he may want to address his colleagues in Tynwald on the words in Daniel 5.27: “thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting”.

Certainly in relation to the Dr Ranson episode they mostly all meet the substance of that text. With the exceptions of Messrs, Christian, Wannenburgh and Glover most Tynwald members have maintained a distance and aloofness of staggering proportions as one of the major scandals of the century in public life played out. There is the odd exception like David Ashford who is busy composing a complete narrative of his making that casts him in a good light.

People like Cannan are busying themselves talking about inquiries whereas in actual fact he should probably get himself round to the Ranson household and say. “I’ve just come to tell you that no one on the Isle of Man believes you were treated fairly”.

Meanwhile back in Tynwald some of the members who will face re-election to the Keys must be realising that members of the public and their electorate with any wit will say to themselves: “If my MHK did nothing over this, how on earth could I believe that if the chips were down for me I could count on them”.

For the most part when it comes to Ranson, Tynwald members (with three notable exceptions) lost their humanity!

Bernard Moffatt
  • Like 4