Coronation Ceremony

La Colombe

On 5/8/2023 at 12:01 PM, Roxanne said:

I think it always has been. People living in crofts with nothing while their masters dined on huge feasts. People in tenements, struggling to keep warm and feed their children when their politicians lived the life of plenty. I don’t think the Coronation showed what it has become, I think it showed what it has always been. 

Yes, Britain has always been very unequal society. E.g., in the days of Queen Vic, life’s circumstances for most ordinary working folk were somewhere between grim and awful. The Russian Revolution shook the industrialising-world establishment to its core. Since then, many positive developments in the West (but not so much in Russia itself) have transformed Britain into a much fairer country. The Trade Unions, Keir Hardie’s Labour Party, Clement Attlee’s welfare state, the Human Rights Act, etc, etc., all paved the way to a better future for ordinary people. Unfortunately, ‘we’ are now going backwards; politically, economically and even culturally. The UK is now more divided country than it has been in decades.

IMHO, staging a pompous medieval costume drama (aka - Coronation Day) saturated with: wealth, privilege, the colonial past, religious symbolisms but devoid of any democratic references was for many people an annoying irrelevance...like putting a gigantic sticking plaster on a gaping political wound – it may have given a slice of the UK populace a bit of respite from their deteriorating day-to-day realities, but it will do nothing to heal a deeply divided nation.

Although Thatcher (and Reagan) have a lot to answer for, it is the current lot (Tories in Westminster and the GOP in America) who, when it comes to building a nation based on fairness and opportunity, have completely lost the plot. It is as if we are increasingly living in the ‘Matrix’ or a pastiche Lord of the Rings saga where dark forces (Putin, Xi, Kim, al-Assad, MBS, etc) are forming alliances that threaten our very existence. But sadly, our leaders are too busy fighting myopic ‘culture wars’ on behalf of their own polarised populaces to notice, and the UK and the USA are gradually morphing into ‘dark forces’, albeit of a different kind. That ‘observation’ is another subject for another thread.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

On the plus side, you can use the hat for magic tricks afterwards. 

To be honest, it doesn't matter how much the suit costs.  As long as it actually fits!

Please tell me you bought it from the Tailor and they threw in a free fitting?

No - bought it online. Great service, first one didn't fit but included a free return and replacement service so the second one almost does, especially since I bought braces.

Went to the tailor's shop when I was first elected and needed a new suit (keen supporter of buy local if possible) but was studiously ignored, so left and decided never to darken that door again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Went to the tailor's shop when I was first elected and needed a new suit (keen supporter of buy local if possible) but was studiously ignored, so left and decided never to darken that door again.

Shame.  I've used them for years and they've always been a keen bean.  Plus I've got what we'll call an non-standard body shape, so generally need some tweaking. 

53 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post. 

My point is it's the Isle of Man I don't really see people getting all hot an bothered over who is the King or Queen as it has no impact on us 

Because you presented the options of either no protestors, or band wagon jumpers, and nothing else.

We're a crown dependency so it does rather impact us!

7 minutes ago, code99 said:

Yes, Britain has always been very unequal society.

A few years back now, I watched a TV documentary on Nazi Germany. Apparently, before they launched an invasion on one of their neighbours, they would carry out quite a detailed socio-economic study of the country to try and identify any weaknesses that they thought might be used to their advantage. 

The Nazi assessment of the social and economic situation of Great Britain prior to "Operation Sealion", which was the codename for the planned invasion, had come to light prior to the documentary and was part of the subject.

Adolf and his cronies had apparently come to the conclusion that Britain had one of the most unfair and unequal societies that they'd yet encountered in their "travels" across the European continent....

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, code99 said:

Yes, Britain has always been very unequal society. E.g., in the days of Queen Vic, life’s circumstances for most ordinary working folk were somewhere between grim and awful. The Russian Revolution shook the industrialising-world establishment to its core. Since then, many positive developments in the West (but not so much in Russia itself) have transformed Britain into a much fairer country. The Trade Unions, Keir Hardie’s Labour Party, Clement Attlee’s welfare state, the Human Rights Act, etc, etc., all paved the way to a better future for ordinary people. Unfortunately, ‘we’ are now going backwards; politically, economically and even culturally. The UK is now more divided country than it has been in decades.

IMHO, staging a pompous medieval costume drama (aka - Coronation Day) saturated with: wealth, privilege, the colonial past, religious symbolisms but devoid of any democratic references was for many people an annoying irrelevance...like putting a gigantic sticking plaster on a gaping political wound – it may have given a slice of the UK populace a bit of respite from their deteriorating day-to-day realities, but it will do nothing to heal a deeply divided nation.

Although Thatcher (and Reagan) have a lot to answer for, it is the current lot (Tories in Westminster and the GOP in America) who, when it comes to building a nation based on fairness and opportunity, have completely lost the plot. It is as if we are increasingly living in the ‘Matrix’ or a pastiche Lord of the Rings saga where dark forces (Putin, Xi, Kim, al-Assad, MBS, etc) are forming alliances that threaten our very existence. But sadly, our leaders are too busy fighting myopic ‘culture wars’ on behalf of their own polarised populaces to notice, and the UK and the USA are gradually morphing into ‘dark forces’, albeit of a different kind. That ‘observation’ is another subject for another thread.

king-charles-coronation2.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Shame.  I've used them for years and they've always been a keen bean.  Plus I've got what we'll call an non-standard body shape, so generally need some tweaking. 

Anyone been since Rob passed?

33 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Because you presented the options of either no protestors, or band wagon jumpers, and nothing else.

We're a crown dependency so it does rather impact us!

Have to say in all my years of being alive who is King or Queen has not impacted me one bit. If people want to grab some placards and chant not my king then good luck to them, just all seems rather pointless. 

On 5/8/2023 at 1:57 PM, La Colombe said:

By the way, what happened to the other thread pertaining to auricle size? I wouldn't have bothered with this if I  had found that. 

No-one? Quite the mystery. Did the police request it to be taken down? You know, in the manner of shutting down protest to give an impression of universal adoration for the amazing institution that is the Royal Family. 

13 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

No-one? Quite the mystery. Did the police request it to be taken down? You know, in the manner of shutting down protest to give an impression of universal adoration for the amazing institution that is the Royal Family.

Sorry - which thread?   What was it titled?

On 5/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, Stu Peters said:

No - bought it online. Great service, first one didn't fit but included a free return and replacement service so the second one almost does, especially since I bought braces.

Stu Peters goes into a tailors and asks if they have a suit that fits him

If we have then somebody is getting sacked replied the tailor

I'll get my coat...

• Haha 4

On 5/9/2023 at 1:30 PM, thommo2010 said:

Have to say in all my years of being alive who is King or Queen has not impacted me one bit.

The issue of who is King or Queen may have whooshed over your head but the fact of there being a King or Queen has most certainly impacted you. If you are not aware of that then maybe you should ask for a refund on your education.

• Like 1