Coronation Ceremony

La Colombe

On 5/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, Stu Peters said:

Went to the tailor's shop when I was first elected and needed a new suit (keen supporter of buy local if possible) but was studiously ignored, so left and decided never to darken that door again.

At least now you know how your electorate feel, a whole year now since your last video update. 

Ideally placed in the DOI to deliver on your promise as motorists champion, all you've done as far as I can see is attempt to justify inflation busting rises in road tax and driving test.

Let's hope the good people of middle are similarly unforgiving.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The issue of who is King or Queen may have whooshed over your head but the fact of there being a King or Queen has most certainly impacted you. If you are not aware of that then maybe you should ask for a refund on your education.

If you think the issue is whether we have a king or a queen on the throne then I think you're missing the point. The real issue is why the hell we still have a throne at all.

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

At least now you know how your electorate feel, a whole year now since your last video update. 

Ideally placed in the DOI to deliver on your promise as motorists champion, all you've done as far as I can see is attempt to justify inflation busting rises in road tax and driving test.

Let's hope the good people of middle are similarly unforgiving.

Poacher...turned poacher and highwayman. £71k is a lot of King's shillings.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Except, as I keep on having to point out, those increases are considerably below the combined rate of inflation since they last went up.  They're only "inflation busting" in the sense of being less than it.

23 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Not the kings shillings, our shillings. But Stu is worth it. 

A UK MP earns appx £86k. A UK MP typically represents more people than the entire population of the IOM. We are paying roughly 24x more than we should be to be represented. 

The vast majority of the islands MHKs should get only expenses - the same as councillors in the UK.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

A UK MP earns appx £86k. A UK MP typically represents more people than the entire population of the IOM. We are paying roughly 24x more than we should be to be represented. 

The vast majority of the islands MHKs should get only expenses - the same as councillors in the UK.

I think the actual cost of an MP in the UK is on average around £250,000 by the time the expenses (office staff, London digs etc) are factored in. And the number of constituents has little to do with the actual job of being a politician. Would you shoulder the responsibility of (effectively) 5 jobs for expenses only? That would be a return to the days when only rich farmers and captains of industry could afford to be MHK's.

The reason I've not made a video for a while is because I floated the idea a few weeks ago, asked for topics and was met by apathy. And if someone wants my opinion, help or advice they pick up the phone or send me an email and get an immediate answer. Surgeries used to be a thing: JPW and I have done a few and I'm minded not to do any more - at one we had one person turn up, at another nobody at all showed for the entire two hours, despite a newspaper and FB adverts. I assumed when I was campaigning that people would be more engaged. They're not.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I think the actual cost of an MP in the UK is on average around £250,000 by the time the expenses (office staff, London digs etc) are factored in. And the number of constituents has little to do with the actual job of being a politician. Would you shoulder the responsibility of (effectively) 5 jobs for expenses only? That would be a return to the days when only rich farmers and captains of industry could afford to be MHK's.

The reason I've not made a video for a while is because I floated the idea a few weeks ago, asked for topics and was met by apathy. And if someone wants my opinion, help or advice they pick up the phone or send me an email and get an immediate answer. Surgeries used to be a thing: JPW and I have done a few and I'm minded not to do any more - at one we had one person turn up, at another nobody at all showed for the entire two hours, despite a newspaper and FB adverts. I assumed when I was campaigning that people would be more engaged. They're not.

Not a dig at you per se, but my belief is we're at the stage where few who are politically engaged suppose that their elected 'representative' represents them or will try and do anything to change things. Just get in, do your CS handler's bidding and leave, pension intact. I think the handling of covid - world-wide - has fed in to that disillusion, the lies, the manipulation, the control. I actually broke my rule and voted for Hooper last time round, he stood on my doorstep and impressed me. Since then he's backtracked (Protection of South Beach) or done a 180 (More money for the sea terminal). Ok, I won't get fooled again, f'ck off my doorstep next time, I won't bother with your 'surgery', there is no point in me engaging.

It's a time for demagogues, alas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I assumed when I was campaigning that people would be more engaged. They're not.

A common belief and not unjustified. There are likely to be two reasons for it though, firstly the traditional lack of interest, as long as things are ticking over fine and nobody is feeling too much pain then nobody is complaining or interested in "making a fuss". It's a "Manx", passive trait, although this is a situation that may obviously be changing in the present times however.

The second reason is that people have simply given up any hope of being listened to or seeing any change, regardless of any representation that they choose to make. And who can blame them when whatever the Govt wants is steamrollered through regardless of any objections, well-founded or not, and they see the sort of Govt conduct that has been exemplified in the Ranson business which has surely appalled those with any following of the matter. Other public matters such as, for instance, the Promenade and the Liverpool Terminal reinforce opinion.

They simply think that it's unlikely that they will be listened to or that there is any competence, certainly in matters of National Governance although their elected may well be offering them any amount of assurance and comfort in small, parochial matters, especially at election time at which point we rinse and repeat.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Given the shape of of them they're likely to be utility inspection covers and metal on metal is not a good idea.

Be away with your sensible rational explanations! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Does the fact nobody is coming to your surgeries not ring some alarm bells? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1