Coronation Ceremony

La Colombe

15 hours ago, code99 said:

Few Brits who are queuing up to food banks on Monday will be more than nonchalant about an over-privileged old duffer who is worth £600m (has offshore stash, pays as much or as little taxes as he wishes and sends a helicopter to fetch his favourite pen) and his hangers-on who are having a jolly nice shindig; all paid by taxpayers of course. Hooray!  

Only they won't be queuing up on Monday - it's a bank holiday thanks to said over-privileged old duffer - and food banks will be shut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

more like North Korea than a supposedly 21st century democracy if you ask me. 

Not good that they were arrested - thin end of the wedge - but my understanding is that they were released again in the evening.   If England was really like North Korea, we would never had heard of any of them again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Not good that they were arrested - thin end of the wedge - but my understanding is that they were released again in the evening.   If England was really like North Korea, we would never had heard of any of them again.

Arrested for peacefully protesting against an unelected, hereditary leader. Then attempting to justify this by claiming to be more liberal that North Korea (just). 

Whatever kind of political system that is it certainly isn't one to aspire to. 

Several human rights violations right there.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Or descriptive and shockingly accurate.

One final thought before I go about my day: you (and others across) wouldn’t be able to make that comparison online if it was actually a “shockingly accurate” comparison.   Either you’d have no access to the internet OR you’d be traced and dealt with.   You’re free to make these comments because IOM and UK are NOT like North Korea.   Would you disagree?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Only they won't be queuing up on Monday - it's a bank holiday thanks to said over-privileged old duffer - and food banks will be shut.

My apologies. Perhaps those striking nurses and junior doctors (who had been toiling 24/7 saving peoples’ lives, but struggle to afford to feed their own families) can chew on the leftover cakes from these celebrations and other flummeries until Tuesday, when the food banks will reopen.

Incidentally, the UK is not the only former empire that plundered its colonies. Other European royals have their own crown jewels and golden carriages. If they wanted to, they could also flaunt themselves with ‘pomp and ceremony’. It is just that public opinion in mainland Europe is strongly against such blatant out of touch displays of opulence. Oh well, horses for courses.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

One final thought before I go about my day: you (and others across) wouldn’t be able to make that comparison online if it was actually a “shockingly accurate” comparison.   Either you’d have no access to the internet OR you’d be traced and dealt with.   You’re free to make these comments because IOM and UK are NOT like North Korea.   Would you disagree?

In terms of being unable to peacefully protest against an unelected, hereditary leader, the UK is very like North Korea.

There are differences, but in that respect, as I have said, the two are shockingly similar.

The very fact that you feel the need to point out some differences is worrying. Is it OK now to be like North Korea as long as you're not exactly like them? 

Which other country in the world would you use for a comparison regarding yesterday's events?

• Like 3