Coronation Ceremony

La Colombe

I’m all for the right to protest but it was far too provocative to allow a few people to protest amongst crowds of people who had gone to celebrate the Coronation. Usually I’m against the police stopping protestors but the removal of the few #notmyking dickheads yesterday was spot on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Agreed.

I just think the “North Korea” comparison that everybody grabs for is lazy and inaccurate.

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Or descriptive and shockingly accurate. 

No, it's not. In North Korea you can be imporssoned for not shaving a picture of the leader hanging up in your home. Not only the householder but their family too - and family that doesn't live in the same home.

As a comparison it is lazy and inaccurate. I would gently suggest you research the N Korean regime and its sanctions and then revisit your comment. 

But, apart for that, I agree with you. It would have been better to have left them alone to demonstrate their democratic right. By arresting them and making a fuss it's just made the whole thing worse. Less police presence and more peer disproval would have been a better way to go IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

n terms of being unable to peacefully protest against an unelected, hereditary leader, the UK is very like North Korea.

No. If it were, all protestors and their families would now be in jail with an extremely strong possibility of being executed for their beliefs.

Again, you don't know your subject well enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

I trust this new found police pro-activity will extend to those oiks who superglue themselves to the M25??

They glue themselves there. They should be allowed to stay put for a few hours. Let them fester until they get hungry, need a toilet break, etc....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I’m all for the right to protest but it was far too provocative to allow a few people to protest amongst crowds of people who had gone to celebrate the Coronation. Usually I’m against the police stopping protestors but the removal of the few #notmyking dickheads yesterday was spot on.

Maybe they should have done what they did with the Trump supporters/haters at his arraignment in NY and separated them completely?

I'm surprised peer pressure didn't put an end to it tbh - but - maybe that would not have ended well either.

Enjoy Londinium my one time arch enemy. (who would have thought..😀)

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

It shouldn’t be - I have the freedom to express a view and so do you.

#agreetodisagree 

The point is we don't though do we? Had you or I been peacefully protesting in London yesterday we would have stood a good chance of being arrested.

It's a very dangerous precedent to set, especially in light of the completely undemocratic nonsense we would have been protesting about and the thousand years of brutality this archaic rubbish represents.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2bees said:

Usually I’m against the police stopping protestors but the removal of the few #notmyking dickheads yesterday was spot on.

Yes we can’t have the peasants revolting. People like you would have no doubt had the Sex Pistols arrested in 1977 for insulting the Queen by playing God Save the Queen on a boat on Jubilee Day. Hey ho, punk is dead and now we just have a load of silly humourless wokes who don’t want to offend a hereditary billionaire in case he might feel “unsafe”. 

• Like 1