Coronation Ceremony

La Colombe

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

No. If it were, all protestors and their families would now be in jail with an extremely strong possibility of being executed for their beliefs.

Again, you don't know your subject well enough.

Jail? Over two hundred thousand North Koreans are imprisoned in concentration camps because their government suspects their disloyalty to the regime and/or the Kim dynasty. They didn't need to wave a placard they only needed to be judged untrustworthy by the secret police. North Korea is the most repressive regime in the world, bar none. The UK is certainly not like North Korea.

That said, if the coppers are lifting protesters off the street before they've even got their 'Not My King' placards out of the back of the van, and detaining them for however long, a very dangerous precedent has been set. We shouldn't be indifferent to it. Unless you're absolutely certain not thing will ever piss you off to the point when you're thinking of making your own placard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Expat. said:

Jail? Over two hundred thousand North Koreans are imprisoned in concentration camps because their government suspects their disloyalty to the regime and/or the Kim dynasty. They didn't need to wave a placard they only needed to be judged untrustworthy by the secret police. North Korea is the most repressive regime in the world, bar none. The UK is certainly not like North Korea.

Heh, yes, 'jail' wasn't the best term to use. And it's not just the secret police, it can be a neighbour, a friend.

I have friend who escaped from there. (one of the few). Her stories are terrifying. 

I agree entirely with your second paragraph. A dangerous precident indeed.

• Like 1

They could incorporate the protest into the ceremony. Have a section for the protestors away from the Royalist mob. Where the royal coach could pause momentarily and the country’s most distinguished republican, Morrissey or Corbyn I suppose, could lob a Ceremonial Egg of Dissent in its direction. Although if it’s Morrissey it would need to be a vegan egg. 

It would be a bit like when Trevor Cowin petitions Tynwald. 

Edited by Declan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Meoir Shee said:

Anyone wanting to understand the North Korean regime would be well advised to read Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick, a harrowing account of life there.  The UK is a long, long way from perfect and increasingly so but North Korea is a different level.

She speaks of the 'famine death months'. The two months of the year when there aren't even insects to eat. She speaks of much more - most of which is unbelievable and truly horrific -  and yet, it is true,

That's why I gt a bit angsty when people compare here and the UK to north Korea.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

The UK is a long, long way from perfect and increasingly so but North Korea is a different level.

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I get a bit angsty when people compare here and the UK to North Korea

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Expat. said:

That said, if the coppers are lifting protesters off the street before they've even got their 'Not My King' placards out of the back of the van, and detaining them for however long, a very dangerous precedent has been set. We shouldn't be indifferent to it.

Totally agree. It seems the police want to pick and choose what protests they take action on and what they don’t which is nothing more than being politically motivated. If they want to arrest dangerous protestors I’m sure many would prefer them to start rounding up all the Insulate Britain middle class Tarquins and Clarissa’s gluing themselves to roads as they’ve got bugger all else to do. But no that seems to be fine. But have a placard saying “Not my King” then it’s please get in the back of the van Sir. Totally outrageous behaviour and proof that Charles III is nothing but an autocrat who knows he’s unpopular with a large chunk of UK residents. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, BriT said:

Totally agree. It seems the police want to pick and choose what protests they take action on and what they don’t which is nothing more than being politically motivated. If they want to arrest dangerous protestors I’m sure many would prefer them to start rounding up all the Insulate Britain middle class Tarquins and Clarissa’s gluing themselves to roads as they’ve got bugger all else to do. But no that seems to be fine. But have a placard saying “Not my King” then it’s please get in the back of the van Sir. Totally outrageous behaviour and proof that Charles III is nothing but an autocrat who knows he’s unpopular with a large chunk of UK residents. 

Another pointless rant from Offshore!!

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Another pointless rant from Offshore!!

What a sad delusional poster you are. Do you ever post anything that’s actually factually correct on this site at all. Instead of your usual made up angry shite?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BriT said:

Yes we can’t have the peasants revolting. People like you would have no doubt had the Sex Pistols arrested in 1977 for insulting the Queen by playing God Save the Queen on a boat on Jubilee Day. Hey ho, punk is dead and now we just have a load of silly humourless wokes who don’t want to offend a hereditary billionaire in case he might feel “unsafe”. 

Are you actually serious? The punk thing was far greater than the #not my king fucktard shite, I'm no fan of the monarchy but even I, as ridiculous as I am, can appreciate the lasting historical moment of the Coronation. FFS. Woke bears no relevance to the enormity of the history that was made on Saturday - why can't people see this? Right or wrong, monarchist or not, insanely big history was made on Saturday and we were all alive to experience it  - am I wrong to think this?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Today is what termed ‘The Big Help’ where the royals were encouraging people to take up volunteering or do something within the community, like litterpicking. Rishi Sunak, Keir Starmer and others are getting involved. 

What’s our politicos doing? I can’t imagine CM Cannan actually doing something within the community? 

5 hours ago, 2bees said:

Are you actually serious? The punk thing was far greater than the #not my king fucktard shite, I'm no fan of the monarchy but even I, as ridiculous as I am, can appreciate the lasting historical moment of the Coronation. FFS. Woke bears no relevance to the enormity of the history that was made on Saturday - why can't people see this? Right or wrong, monarchist or not, insanely big history was made on Saturday and we were all alive to experience it  - am I wrong to think this?

Oh I’m sorry some naughty subjects ruined your day of forelock tugging to your new unelected overlord 😂 They certainly deserved to be thrown in the tower. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Today is what termed ‘The Big Help’ where the royals were encouraging people to take up volunteering or do something within the community, like litterpicking. Rishi Sunak, Keir Starmer and others are getting involved. 

What’s our politicos doing? I can’t imagine CM Cannan actually doing something within the community? 

https://coronation.gov.im/whats-on-locally/

• Like 1