Josem exposes QE2 drag queen photos

Broadcasterman

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

How long will it take to retrofit every bathroom with a third option? Is it sensible to have only 1 option for both trans men and trans women?

it's already done , the symbol is usually a representation of a wheelchair.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, genericUserName said:

I think we just need to all agree that being a woman can only be a biological definition.

Better to use male & female surely? Using man and woman implies the very social construct that the gender issue seems to be all about.  Then throw in words like lady, gent, dame, girl, lass, lad, youth, etc. 

It is by and large semantics, but the semantics carries some weight. 

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Better to use male & female surely? Using man and woman implies the very social construct that the gender issue seems to be all about.  Then throw in words like lady, gent, dame, girl, lass, lad, youth, etc. 

It is by and large semantics, but the semantics carries some weight. 

Yes Glad, semantics as you say. But I’m not sure they do carry much weight ( they certainly shouldn’t).

Attaching too much importance to a way of describing say  ( let’s keep it simple) the biological sex of someone is what gets us in these sort of pickles (the personal pronoun trans thing for example)

Obviously terms like bitch being used to describe a woman/ lady/ lass/ female etc is unacceptable. But the examples you give above shouldn’t really get anyone too exercised about all this.

I think people should lighten up on these sort of peripheral, unimportant issues which can obscure the proper debates we should be having.

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why do you have to use all these peculiar phrases like “ female presenting person”

20 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think people should lighten up on these sort of peripheral, unimportant issues which can obscure the proper debates we should be having.

🤷

On 8/10/2023 at 5:13 PM, Roxanne said:

So, if I introduced myself to you IRL as Sarah, would you ask me if I had a penis? At what point do you feel the need to question?  What identifying features or characteristics would I need to have before you asked?...

On 8/10/2023 at 5:30 PM, Roxanne said:

So at what point would you and under what circumstances?  You said you would, so when? 

But isn't that - in the context of a thread about transgender issues - the wrong question?

The correct question would be:

"If somebody introduced themself to you IRL as Sarah, and told you they were a trans-woman, would you ask them if they had a penis?"

I can't speak for VOR but I'd certainly ask them because they've opened the door to the question by gratuitously telling me something about themself that I didn't need to know.  I'd reasonably assume that having voluntarily mentioned their trans status without any prompting from me that they would be more than happy to discuss aspects of their transition and how it's impacted on them.

Why else would anyone make a point of mentioning their trans status when introducing themselves to someone they didn't know if they weren't happy to answer any questions about it?

(Unless of course they were being deliberately provocative and disingenuous and were intentionally trying to draw out some question or comment they could then shout "transphobia!" about...) 

On 8/10/2023 at 11:23 AM, Roger Mexico said:

But ask yourself, how is the trans issue being thrust in your face?  Are trans people knocking on your door or ringing you up about it?  Or are you reading about it in the papers and on online or broadcast media?  Those media have made the choice to cover those particular stories and not others, in a world full of publicists. 

Holding marches and cavorting up and down the street. Hordes of 'em. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

But isn't that - in the context of a thread about transgender issues - the wrong question?

The correct question would be:

"If somebody introduced themself to you IRL as Sarah, and told you they were a trans-woman, would you ask them if they had a penis?"

I can't speak for VOR but I'd certainly ask them because they've opened the door to the question by gratuitously telling me something about themself that I didn't need to know.  I'd reasonably assume that having voluntarily mentioned their trans status without any prompting from me that they would be more than happy to discuss aspects of their transition and how it's impacted on them.

Why else would anyone make a point of mentioning their trans status when introducing themselves to someone they didn't know if they weren't happy to answer any questions about it?

(Unless of course they were being deliberately provocative and disingenuous and were intentionally trying to draw out some question or comment they could then shout "transphobia!" about...) 

Really?  Would you ask a woman who said she had breast cancer whether she had had a mastectomy? 

ETA Surely you would ask if they were recovered and hoped they were able to get on with life? 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Really?  Would you ask a woman who said she had breast cancer whether she had had a mastectomy? 

ETA Surely you would ask if they were recovered and hoped they were able to get on with life? 

Not if you're some sort of pervert who's desperate to know the contents of other people's underwear.

• Like 1