Scams

Lilly

I received a text message in the earlier hours of this morning saying this .

Mum, my phone has smashed can you contact me on this new number until l get it fixed. 

It was obvious to me it wasn't my child that had sent it. On contacting said child it's apparently doing the rounds last week in the UK.

It also show two numbers  one the original text number sent from then another within the text.

I thought phone companies/Governments were supposed to be clamping down on this fraudulent behaviour!

The text sent to me could maybe have worried some parents in using the scam number in case their child was in need of help.

I just wondered if anyone else had started to receive alot more of these scams? I certainly am receiving alot of scam delivery parcel texts.

• Thanks 3

That scams been going around for a while.

I got a call the other day from some bloke saying I'd spoke to his company back end of 2022 about AI. I hadn't promptly hung up. 

If you get a call from a number you don't recognise type it into Google usually tells you if it's a known scam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

There's an even worse one where AI samples your child's voice from any voice clips they may have posted on social media. They call as if from a police station or such like, saying that they need an unrealistic amount to be transferred to bail them out. 

The voice is so realistic and anxious that several people have been taken in. A Canadian couple parted with $21,000 which was never recovered. 

Edited by Max Power

Just now, philwebs said:

If potentially this might happen have a safeword / codeword to verify the text message. Only use when really needed.

No codeword, it is a scam.

That's a really good idea, l did recognise in the scam l was sent it's language style was different. 

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

That scams been going around for a while.

I got a call the other day from some bloke saying I'd spoke to his company back end of 2022 about AI. I hadn't promptly hung up. 

If you get a call from a number you don't recognise type it into Google usually tells you if it's a known scam

It’s a sad state of affairs, but I don’t answer anything that isn’t from someone in my phone book.

All hidden or not recognised numbers go straight to voicemail.

Anyone who actually needs to speak to speak to me is in my phone book or calls me on WhatsApp.

Any unexpected text or WhatsApp just gets binned.  It’s sad that you have to assume the worst all the time these days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Ditto

Hi Mum, ive smashed my phone, i cant be reached on my old number till i get my phone fixed. Text me on this number 07467438164

Yes that's it! But came in on a different number. I've deleted it and blocked it now.