Scams

Lilly

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

Slight tangent, but I think this is a generation thing.

If a number you don’t recognise or a private number comes up on your phone do you answer the call?  The only people I know who would are all pensioners.

As a retiree, but not yet a pensioner, I answer the phone to numbers I don’t recognise. They’ve all been genuine calls to my mobile (scammers seem to phone the landline). A recent one was from a lady in Guadeloupe wondering where the Isle of Man was as she had a package for me which she’d forward on. It had been dispatched from the USA and somehow ended up on a Mexican island. 

41 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

A recent one was from a lady in Guadeloupe wondering where the Isle of Man was as she had a package for me which she’d forward on. It had been dispatched from the USA and somehow ended up on a Mexican island. 

That definitely sounds completely legit 🤣

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

That definitely sounds completely legit 🤣

It was these

https://pocket-tripod.com

I ordered one, then you know who decided she wanted one. One arrived, one didn’t. A replacement was sent and that also didn’t arrive. Then there was the phone call from the nice lady in Guadeloupe and eventually both missing items arrived. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I see that the banks are starting to introduce new ways of dealing with scams.  In January , one bank will be putting limits on your accounts, especially that transaction involves the exchange to Crypto currency somewhere down the line. 

Scams are you pay someone, thinking its genuine.  Fraud is money leaving your account you are not aware of.

It's definitely a step in the right direction. I think the Banks are being forced to protect our money more.  They now have to take responsibility and pay your money back if you have been scammed or have fraudulent activity on your account.

Some banks are offering  free anti-virus software.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I see that the banks are starting to introduce new ways of dealing with scams.  In January , one bank will be putting limits on your accounts, especially that transaction involves the exchange to Crypto currency somewhere down the line. 

Scams are you pay someone, thinking its genuine.  Fraud is money leaving your account you are not aware of.

It's definitely a step in the right direction. I think the Banks are being forced to protect our money more.  They now have to take responsibility and pay your money back if you have been scammed or have fraudulent activity on your account.

Some banks are offering  free anti-virus software.

Yes, I received exactly the same this morning. Don't be fooled by the fact that banks are telling you they're protecting YOUR money. It's all about protecting themselves from the regulators! 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes, I received exactly the same this morning. Don't be fooled by the fact that banks are telling you they're protecting YOUR money. It's all about protecting themselves from the regulators! 

Yes, Andy, you are right.  I Think it's still a step forward.   You quite rightly pointed out that they have been forced into it. 

Edited by Lilly
grammar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

They now have to take responsibility and pay your money back if you have been scammed or have fraudulent activity on your account.

Fraud - yes you're right where it's not the customer's doing it would be refunded. I had something taken earlier this year and it was swiftly sorted out.

If someone is stupid enough to divulge their details and be scammed though, I don't believe you're covered and neither should you if you're negligent with your PIN/passwords etc. I think the UK may have a 'fund' to support refund people who have been scammed but not sure if we are part of that in the IOM?

Some of its a pain in the ass. I paid a mechanic recently through the app, "is this person who they claim to be"? Yes I'm stood right next to him, "Are you sure you want to send this money"? Yes, I want to drive away "Is this payment possibly a fraud or a scam"? Well, maybe. 

It had been a while since I'd set up a new payee, they've gone well overboard with the new panic panic don't get scammed stuff if you ask me.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Some of its a pain in the ass. I paid a mechanic recently through the app, "is this person who they claim to be"? Yes I'm stood right next to him, "Are you sure you want to send this money"? Yes, I want to drive away "Is this payment possibly a fraud or a scam"? Well, maybe. 

It had been a while since I'd set up a new payee, they've gone well overboard with the new panic panic don't get scammed stuff if you ask me.

Yeah it can feel like that when you're confident, but those questions could be the difference between someone losing their life savings to a scam and not losing their life savings. You'd be amazed how many people still divulge details, send money to 'safe accounts' that scammers who claim to be from banks persuade people they need to do. And when it's gone, it's gone. The scammers tactics are also becoming so much more sophisticated.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, woolley said:

They've done so for many years. The name of the one the IOM Bank used to offer escapes me now, but it must be 10 years ago, or more.

Hi Woolley  The bank's premium anti-virus software l mentioned is only offered is only free until May 2024,  then you have to pay a monthlypayment.   It's interesting that you could actually  get it for free already and for quite some time. Thank for the information. 

14 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Hi Woolley  The bank's premium anti-virus software l mentioned is only offered is only free until May 2024,  then you have to pay a monthlypayment.   It's interesting that you could actually  get it for free already and for quite some time. Thank for the information. 

ahhh , we can't charge PPI so we will charge for our AV software instead.