Scams

Lilly

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

No, to set up an account you have to go through a massive amount of verification. 

I know all that having spent my working life in the finance sector, That’s not what we’re talking about.

You do have a responsibility to protect yourself from fraud as best you can. You can’t be reckless or negligent thinking that if a transaction goes wrong the bank will automatically refund you.

The Banks second thought security checks are pretty nominal at best, still rely on one giving it some thought? Do you know the the request is from someone that you know???? But the 'scam' is that it is from your Child and one worries that it is genuine and you should transfer the money to help them !!!!

What I ask above is, how old do you have to be to be excused from responsibility for your actions? You could be in your thirties, have a kid at university and get a ''Mom, I've smashed my phone'' text, what is the chance that at any age you will be taken in by such a text????

When/If  I'm taken in by such a text I would hope that I am protected by the rules but should that be so? Should other bankers subsidise my foolishness?

• Like 1

I’m always very wary of new bank details. My banking app stores all the names/account numbers I’ve ever used before, so I’m not going to be scammed out of money from someone claiming to be one of my kids needing money - “by the way dad, as well as dropping my phone I’ve got a new bank account and I’ve moved house to Nigeria” would probably raise alarm bells. 

Even buying/selling stuff I often transfer £1 first just to make sure numbers are right - it’s very easy to switch numbers around. I could have lost £250,000 in a house sale as the person at the bank wrote my account number in wrong. Good job I checked. And double checked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

Online banking seem to check the sort code and account number match the name of the person or company you’re paying. They generally report a match or close match for any new payments I’ve had to make 

That is a relatively recent, and welcome, addition. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

That is a relatively recent, and welcome, addition. 

Which bank are you with?  IOM bank has done that on every new payment for ages.  I am amazed if others haven’t been the same.

I even have to blink to make the payment now, which means I can’t wake up at 4am and do my banking without disturbing the wife.  Most inconvenient 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Which bank are you with?  IOM bank has done that on every new payment for ages.  I am amazed if others haven’t been the same.

I even have to blink to make the payment now, which means I can’t wake up at 4am and do my banking without disturbing the wife.  Most inconvenient 

Lloyds. I’m pretty sure it’s only within the last year that it checks recipient details. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Lloyds. I’m pretty sure it’s only within the last year that it checks recipient details. 

Cool.

Just checking on a scamming thread if people would readily disclose where they banked 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

Slight tangent, but I think this is a generation thing.

If a number you don’t recognise or a private number comes up on your phone do you answer the call?  The only people I know who would are all pensioners.

Not quite a pensioner yet. But I mostly do.If it’s a number I don’t recognise I may not answer it and Google it. If it turns out to be an organisation I might want to speak to I may call them back

It does annoy me that people or businesses don’t disclose their phone numbers. Your natural reaction is to imagine the call is from some ne’er do well or fraudster

Perhaps the reason I would normally answer these calls is because one such call came from the police relating to a burglary at my mothers house. She was in a nursing home at the time. (Not sure what they would have done if I hadn’t answered it.)

Similarly,if my recollection is correct, another one was from the hospital to invite me in for some medical tests that day. I wouldn’t like to have missed that

Anyway I’m struggling to think of a reason why you wouldn’t. If it turns out it’s someone trying to sell you something, or someone you don’t want to talk to, or it’s about something you don’t want to discuss you can always terminate the call

But yes it is annoying.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

51 minutes ago, Ativa said:

That does my head in. It seems to only work if I’ve taken my glasses of but it often pops up a message and I have to put my glasses back on to read it and then try again. 

• Haha 1