Scams

Lilly

Radio 4 recently highlighted a scam whereby bit coin scammers persuaded a retired couple to buy from them, even paid them a return on their small investment. Eventually they got the couple to apply for a bank loan for £50,000, coached them on what to say to the bank, claiming to own their rented house, loan for house improvements, the bank specifically asked if the loan was to buy bit coin,  the chap said 'no', he got the loan!!!

They paid the 50k to the scammers and now face repaying the loan.

Shows how well thought out these scams are.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Fraud - yes you're right where it's not the customer's doing it would be refunded. I had something taken earlier this year and it was swiftly sorted out.

If someone is stupid enough to divulge their details and be scammed though, I don't believe you're covered and neither should you if you're negligent with your PIN/passwords etc. I think the UK may have a 'fund' to support refund people who have been scammed but not sure if we are part of that in the IOM?

Thank you,  Captain_Mainwaring.  I was under the impression that the banks are going to be forced to reimbursed you; good point.  Of course, we may not qualify here

34 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Radio 4 recently highlighted a scam whereby bit coin scammers persuaded a retired couple to buy from them, even paid them a return on their small investment. Eventually they got the couple to apply for a bank loan for £50,000, coached them on what to say to the bank, claiming to own their rented house, loan for house improvements, the bank specifically asked if the loan was to buy bit coin,  the chap said 'no', he got the loan!!!

That's so awful.   

49 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I feel for them but there have been so many warnings. No doubt some joker will come along and say the bank should bail them out because we all bailed the banks out, blah, blah......

12 hours ago, woolley said:

I feel for them but there have been so many warnings. No doubt some joker will come along and say the bank should bail them out because we all bailed the banks out, blah, blah......

Yes, well but it's not the joker/nothing is my fault character we are trying to protect, is it?  It's  vulnerable people, although apparently it doesn't seem age-related for the scammers.  You are correct; education is key, but do people actually listen?  The phone company's and the banks could do more to protect us from these unsavoury characters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lilly said:

Yes, well but it's not the joker/nothing is my fault character we are trying to protect, is it?  It's  vulnerable people, although apparently it doesn't seem age-related for the scammers.  You are correct; education is key, but do people actually listen?  The phone company's and the banks could do more to protect us from these unsavoury characters.

I'm not unsympathetic, but I'm not sure what more they could be expected to do.

If I make an online transaction I'm warned several times to the point of overkill about how someone may be trying to relieve me of my money unlawfully, and am I sure that the Isle of Man Government is a trustworthy organisation (or whoever I'm paying).

I think we all need to take some responsibility for our actions. If we remove all risk we take away the need to be responsible.

21 hours ago, woolley said:

I'm not unsympathetic, but I'm not sure what more they could be expected to do.

If I make an online transaction I'm warned several times to the point of overkill about how someone may be trying to relieve me of my money unlawfully, and am I sure that the Isle of Man Government is a trustworthy organisation (or whoever I'm paying).

I think we all need to take some responsibility for our actions. If we remove all risk we take away the need to be responsible.

Apologies for the late response.

Yes, it can be a bit tedious when you are constantly asked to consider if this may be a scam. 

My point was l think more could be done to stop these people impersonating Banks, etc.

• 2 months later...

I just had a telephone call from somebody at an organization called Blue World, who claim to be dealing with the acquisition of Aviva PLC. on behalf of a client. The person seemed to know quite a lot about me. She tried to get me to give her more information, which I refused. She said she would call again in a few days. 

A quick look on the internet and I don’t see anything suggesting an acquisition. Quite the opposite. Beware! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Along with this morning's post, I received a strange handbill from something called 'The Millionaire House Club', pretty poorly designed but advertising some games I've never heard of, printing in a mixture of black and white alternate words telling you very little but promising that 10% of all profits will go to 'groups on the island that need help'!

There is a reassuring message on the difficult to read flyer which states, 'We are a reputable brand with Shane Lynch as a brand ambassador'. 

It really sounds like a strange set up, being launched on the island on 12.02.24 at their IoM based HQ?

https://millionairehouseclub.com/

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/millionairehouseclub.com

Edited by Max Power
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

Along with this morning's post, I received a strange handbill from something called 'The Millionaire House Club', pretty poorly designed but advertising some games I've never heard of, printing in a mixture of black and white alternate words telling you very little but promising that 10% of all profits will go to 'groups on the island that need help'!

There is a reassuring message on the difficult to read flyer which states, 'We are a reputable brand with Shane Lynch as a brand ambassador'. 

It really sounds like a strange set up, being launched on the island on 12.02.24 at their IoM based HQ?

Yes,l received this too yesterday in my post.  I thought it might be a scam.  Was l wrong? l wasn't sure what the message was actually about within it.  It landed in my shredding pile very quickly.

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

Yes,l received this too yesterday in my post.  I thought it might be a scam.  Was l wrong? l wasn't sure what the message was actually about within it.  It landed in my shredding pile very quickly.

Me too. Couldn’t really make out what it was. All a bit vague and I’ve never heard of Shane Lynch ( honestly I haven’t JW)

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

They're based in Northern Ireland. Seems like a poor copy of other 'competition' sites but when I looked at their socials and internet footprint it looks like they're just starting out, but with very suspect 'winners'.

I wouldn't touch it, and don't believe there will be any connection with the Isle of Man apart from using it as a jurisdiction to get more players. Probably trying to take some of Hittin it Big's market share. From what I've seen though they look like a very unprofessional setup.

As with all these things, the house always wins.

• Thanks 1