Scams

Lilly

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

:D This actually made me laugh.  l got a text from a bank warning about romance scams.  It was a warning about using online dating, etc.  It would be interesting to hear if everyone has received this warning or if they have used data to target individuals   Just for clarification, l have never used such a site.  I do wonder if the banks are being more proactive due to the fact they have to refund you now

I got one of those, Lilly - and I’ve never been on a dating site (unless this is one and I’ve made a ghastly error in judgement…)!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spyk3r said:

I got it as well... so i dont think it is being targeted at certain people... considering my partner is a joint account holder 

You can see this leading to divorces: "What's this message about you and dating sites?".  Maybe it's a cunning plan by IOM Bank to benefit from all the financial fallout.

• Haha 2

I had a phone call from "Jenny from Microsoft technical department". She wanted to ask me about my computer.

"You do realize by making this call, you're now in violation of your own privacy policy. Would you like to explain why, please?"

Somebody decided to terminate the call and it certainly wasn't me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lilly said:

I do wonder if the banks are being more proactive due to the fact they have to refund you now.

They do not have to refund you, if you have been negligent with your details yourself. Only if it's fraud caused by a 3rd party data breach for example.

Far too many people fall for obvious scams - giving out full PIN numbers, passwords and even card reader codes over the phone. I think the banks are generally trying to educate people about this sort of activity. There was a good documentary on recently about it, you heard some of the calls and they managed to intercept and prevent people losing money.

Never feel pressured no matter how urgent it sounds. Hang up, phone the bank on a known number (back of your card) ideally on another phone. 

• Like 3

I disagree slightly with your 1st paragraph, l think they are being pressured to take more responsibility for scams.  I agree with you about educating customers via warnings text messages. 

9 hours ago, Lilly said:

I disagree slightly with your 1st paragraph, l think they are being pressured to take more responsibility for scams.  I agree with you about educating customers via warnings text messages. 

there are people out there who are told they are being scammed (usual one is some woman in some far flung country) yet they still willingly transfer money to the person, it's mind boggling and rightly the bank doesn't refund them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

there are people out there who are told they are being scammed (usual one is some woman in some far flung country) yet they still willingly transfer money to the person, it's mind boggling and rightly the bank doesn't refund them. 

Correct, I fully agree. Negligence or downright stupid behaviour shouldn't result in being refunded. Genuine fraud yes.

Although, I think what Lilly refers to is the UK scheme whereby banks pay in to a pot that's used to compensate people who have fallen victim to a scam. That doesn't extend to IOM based banks, UK only.

43 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Correct, I fully agree. Negligence or downright stupid behaviour shouldn't result in being refunded. Genuine fraud yes.

Although, I think what Lilly refers to is the UK scheme whereby banks pay in to a pot that's used to compensate people who have fallen victim to a scam. That doesn't extend to IOM based banks, UK only.

Yes, thank you, l didn't realise the scheme didn't extend to the isle of man. 

I myself am very security-conscious, and l often wonder how people fall for such obvious scams.

47 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes, thank you, l didn't realise the scheme didn't extend to the isle of man. 

I myself am very security-conscious, and l often wonder how people fall for such obvious scams.

I have had a couple of withdrawals from my account fraudulently and get a message from the bank, I never ring the number I always phone the bank and ask if they sent the text, they have but better to do that than click on a link or ring a number that has been sent to you 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I have had a couple of withdrawals from my account fraudulently and get a message from the bank, I never ring the number I always phone the bank and ask if they sent the text, they have but better to do that than click on a link or ring a number that has been sent to you 

That's good advice to follow.  To date, I have never had any fraudulent activity on my account. I do wonder how long this will last, as some people l know have had some. 

I've had debit card fraud. What saved me was the debit card notifications in the mobile app. Got a push notification saying I'd used my debit card at some online sportswear shop. I was sat watching TV, so I definitely hadn't! Into the app, locked my debit card, phoned bank, 5 mins later my card was cancelled, new one ordered and the fraudulent transaction refunded.

Had I not had the notification switched on I would have been waiting until my next statement or when I went to use my card and my account had been rinsed.

Absolute life saver. One of the real benefits of online/mobile app.

• Like 3

Scam Interceptors ( on BBC iPlayer)  have provided some information they have unearthed about one of the larger scam call centres to local police in India.  Since then they think the centre has ceased or reduced its operations.  I certainly have noticed that I haven't had a call about Amazon or Microsoft from India for ages.  Hopefully, they will unearth more.

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Scam Interceptors ( on BBC iPlayer)  have provided some information they have unearthed about one of the larger scam call centres to local police in India.  Since then they think the centre has ceased or reduced its operations.  I certainly have noticed that I haven't had a call about Amazon or Microsoft from India for ages.  Hopefully, they will unearth more.

That's the programme Gladys! Really scary stuff when you don't deal with it day in day out - more and more sophisticated all the time. And of course they coerce low paid bank workers to get involved as they know systems, the way to phrase things, questions to ask. All adds to making it sound plausible. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

That's the programme Gladys! Really scary stuff when you don't deal with it day in day out - more and more sophisticated all the time. And of course they coerce low paid bank workers to get involved as they know systems, the way to phrase things, questions to ask. All adds to making it sound plausible. 

It's a good series.  There was one where they had managed to hack in to the call centre CCTV.  While at one desk they were perpetrating the scam, at the desk right next to them, was what looked like some kind of religious shrine or altar. 

Seems like religious hypocrisy is not limited to Christianity.