Scams

Lilly

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

It's a good series.  There was one where they had managed to hack in to the call centre CCTV.  While at one desk they were perpetrating the scam, at the desk right next to them, was what looked like some kind of religious shrine or altar. 

Seems like religious hypocrisy is not limited to Christianity. 

After playing along for a while, I like to (try to) engage the scammers in a conversation about whether their whole community is fundamentally dishonest and brought them up to be similarly dishonest, or if they're just individually dishonest and bringing shame on an otherwise decent community. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

A referees whistle does the job.

Indeed it does …as loud as you can and guarantee they are not amused but hang up and don’t call back. Told a few people about this but I always had whistles handy while most won’t .

On 2/7/2024 at 10:53 PM, Capt_Mainwaring said:

They do not have to refund you, if you have been negligent with your details yourself. Only if it's fraud caused by a 3rd party data breach for example.

Far too many people fall for obvious scams - giving out full PIN numbers, passwords and even card reader codes over the phone. I think the banks are generally trying to educate people about this sort of activity. There was a good documentary on recently about it, you heard some of the calls and they managed to intercept and prevent people losing money.

Never feel pressured no matter how urgent it sounds. Hang up, phone the bank on a known number (back of your card) ideally on another phone. 

Be careful when dialling after a scam call as I believe they can 'hold' the line open. So make sure you hear a dial tone before entering the legit phone number or call someone you know to ensure the line is clear. 

image.thumb.png.881e92912d91989b0f71877017d50a50.png

I initially like to sound friendly and genuinely interested in what their saying, about 15 seconds, then with gusto say "oh can you hang on a second I need to go to the kitchen to stop something 'bubbling over".

Sometimes they're still there an hour or two later!!

I know...bastard!

Edited by Sentience
Clarification and fun.
  • Haha 1