Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Did I really say hating? :)

I adore it too. I used to drive there every year and stay over for nine months or so. You're right, the vibe is wonderful. It's said that there are electric lay lines all over Europe and they all end up in Portugal - Sagres I think. The coolest folk see to follow them and end up there..

Nice trip.  Yeah I've hired a campervan a couple of times there.  

It never really seems to get in the press for bad things happening, like terrorist attacks etc.  You can see why a lot of super rich people are moving there (well that and the 'golden visa')  It just tends to sit quietly in the corner.  Maybe a few too many golf developments on the coast though. 

16 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I avoid the Algarve like the plague. My favourite bit is from Aljezur on the west coast and Lagos on the south and everything in between. My 'home' for most of the year was Barao de Sao Joao - a beautiful little village that used to have a huge 'hippy' market once a month. Sadly the GNR put a stop to that but, it was illegal, and it was getting extremely large.  There are huge communities there for the winter. It's like one big huge family. he Portuguese are SO laid back and quiet and unassuming, unlike their Spanish neighbours. :)

And then there's the pastis de nata for 45 cents and a coffee for 75 cents. There's lots I miss.

During covid it was voted the safest place on earth and yes, nothing much happens. No one can be bothered really. 

I've only been that far South once, but camped on the cliffs above Beliche and the beaches towards Carrapteirra for a bit. 

I once heard a British Bimbo/Chav complaining that they'd arrived in Faro and were expecting to see the pyramids! 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Jesus holy christ.

I was actually kidding. 🤦‍♀️

Yes I know.  Unfortunately I'm not.

It was originally supposed to be £3.25 million when announced last August, but the Harbours guy was very cagy about that in the clip as they hadn't had had estimates.  Remember this was know to be required for the Manxman which originally was supposed to be here February-ish.  Planning had only gone in in July.  Clearly the previous people at DoI had either forgotten about it or couldn't care.

And of course when you have to do something last minute, it's going to cost more.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

When is this appalling nonsense going to stop. 

If anything, events over the last couple of years would suggest it's only going to get worse. 

Has it always been this bad, or is just that we actually now know about all the costs racking up in relation to complete incompetence?