Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

24 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The Ben's design is not suitable for the Irish sea, hence the addition of 450 tons (?) of concrete. The Irish sea is, i believe quite shallow and hulls are ideally designed for this.

The Ben must be the greatest boat ever then,  she has been the most reliable work horse they have had. She has not missed many rotations in her 25 years.  Her weight problems were down to using 6mm steel instead of 9mm so I am told. When Seaco ordered the Ben I think her hull was part built so Sherwood got it for £24mil 

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Manxman2000 said:

If the Ben my Chree is so good ( and I will not take issue with that), could the company or government not have said to a builder I’ll have a new one of them please.  It’s a ferry not the QE bloody 3.  Why they had to build a cruise ferry for Douglas Heysham or Douglas Liverpool beats me.  The Isle of Man is living beyond its wallet.  Condor ( not a company known for its straight thinking) needed a new conventional for freight and pax so they bought the Straitsmsn a Ben/Commodore Clipper of 2005, gave her a good re fit and the Condor Islander is ready for work. At the same time the SPC are “ not confident” in a brand new vessel that even to the outsider has far too much windage for small harbours in a blow.  This boat is going to miss many crossings this winter.  Better build a bridge or tunnel, that will be Cannons next big idea. 

Unfortunately the IOM at times isn’t living in the real world. It is obsessed beyond belief with being world leading, and forever dick waving, boasting and grandstanding. You can’t really fault Condor who worked collaboratively with Guernsey who provided funding. 

Hasn’t a bridge/flyover idea been floated crossing over Braddan Bridge? I wonder how many £millions that would cost?

Well, my German friends due to visit for the MGP have just emailed to advise that they had been turned away at Heysham due to no available space on the remaining sailings during the shortened MGP period. They were looking forward to travelling on the Manxman as per their tickets but having arrived at Heysham they were advised that there was not enough available space on the replacement BMC sailings to allow them to travel.

For the first time in 37 years (covering TT, MGP or Southern) they have been unable to get a crossing to the Island and are now returning to Germany via a trip round the Yorkshire Dales. And are seriously reviewing whether to come to the Island again.

Well done to all concerned.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, my German friends due to visit for the MGP have just emailed to advise that they had been turned away at Heysham due to no available space on the remaining sailings during the shortened MGP period. They were looking forward to travelling on the Manxman as per their tickets but having arrived at Heysham they were advised that there was not enough available space on the replacement BMC sailings to allow them to travel.

For the first time in 37 years (covering TT, MGP or Southern) they have been unable to get a crossing to the Island and are now returning to Germany via a trip round the Yorkshire Dales. And are seriously reviewing whether to come to the Island again.

Well done to all concerned.

Please send this post to your MHK

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I don’t follow. Which sailing has been cancelled? 

The Manxman was cancelled for both Friday and Saturday daytime. It was to be replaced by the Ben. Ben sailed Friday, but not Saturday. The reason being Manxman sailed to shelter off the west of the Island as the master wasn’t happy it was safe to stay in Douglas. There was no back up master free to sail the Ben ( it would have required an off duty Master to come in and do overtime, and management/crew industrial relations are so poor no one was willing to volunteer ). So Ben was cancelled. At least that’s how I read the post above by @Kipper99

• Like 1