Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

You look at the size of the Stena e-Flexer ferries going past the island to Belfast without issue and I’m calling bollocks about most of the comments about Manxman and the wind.

As for Heysham, the three Seatruck ferries that use Heysham are all 30 feet longer than the Manxman and they don’t struggle to manoeuvre. Manxman isn’t really much taller- the Seatruck ships are big.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, Kipper99 said:

Crew feeling, based on experience, is that Manxman is too big, too much windage for safe manoeuvring in Port. 

Crew are also claiming this has been known about for over 3 years, as it was predicted by tank tests, and computer simulations, which were ignored by the Steam Packet managing director and the board.

If the tests showed that there was a problem (possibly marginal) what were the overriding factors that caused the directors to buy this design?

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

You look at the size of the Stena e-Flexer ferries going past the island to Belfast without issue and I’m calling bollocks about most of the comments about Manxman and the wind.

The harbours they use have much more room for manoeuvre and don't have a very narrow channel/entrance - that being said it's not unknown for them to have to hold outside Holyhead in particular conditions. I know it's not here, but it can be the same in Dover, with ferries holding for long hours at times when the port is closed.

3 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The harbours they use have much more room for manoeuvre and don't have a very narrow channel/entrance

I edited my post to add a bit more detail:

“As for Heysham, the three Seatruck ferries that use Heysham are all 30 feet longer than the Manxman and they don’t struggle to manoeuvre. Manxman isn’t really much taller- the Seatruck ships are big.”

Many of these “in the know” comments sound like nothing more than the usual Manx bullshit.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I edited my post to add a bit more detail:

“As for Heysham, the three Seatruck ferries that use Heysham are all 30 feet longer than the Manxman and they don’t struggle to manoeuvre. Manxman isn’t really much taller- the Seatruck ships are big.”

Many of these “in the know” comments sound like nothing more than the usual Manx bullshit.

I don't disagree with your final statement at all!!

However I would say Manxman has a much higher side area/windage - although she does have more power from her 3 thrusters vs. Ben. Not sure how many thrusters Seatruck have.

IIRC Ben has been canx in relatively moderate winds whereas Seatruck still sail - Ben & Seatruck/Stena are very similar in design.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the handling characteristics between the BMC & MXM are quite different. Hence the need for caution whilst they work out which bells and whistles will be needed to effect safe berthing. Just a guess.

Reasonable assumptions and I hope correct 🙂

3 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

IIRC Ben has been canx in relatively moderate winds whereas Seatruck still sail - Ben & Seatruck/Stena are very similar in design.

I think they’re more risk-averse than Seatruck (and probably related to them carrying passengers) and the Manxman definitely has a higher windage than the Ben. It’s all this nonsense about them buying a boat that won’t fit in Heysham that I don’t see, as the other Heysham operator has boats that are just as big.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

I think they’re more risk-averse than Seatruck (and probably related to them carrying passengers) and the Manxman definitely has a higher windage than the Ben. It’s all this nonsense about them buying a boat that won’t fit in Heysham that I don’t see, as the other Heysham operator has boats that are just as big.

i  guess fitting and fitting safely if the boat has maneuverability issues may not be the same thing. 

4 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

The harbours they use have much more room for manoeuvre and don't have a very narrow channel/entrance - that being said it's not unknown for them to have to hold outside Holyhead in particular conditions. I know it's not here, but it can be the same in Dover, with ferries holding for long hours at times when the port is closed.

Isn't Belfast the same? Pretty sure I've seen ROPAX wiring outside the outer harbour.

9 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Length isn’t the determinant, though, is it? It the height and solidity of the side profile, I’d assume. Stena and Sea Truck don’t have the high, solid passenger deck superstructure and even the upper freight deck side walls have cut outs.

Plus, of course they are freight and aren’t as critical to meet a strict timetable.

IMG_4919.jpeg

IMG_4920.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

As for Hesham, the three Sea truck ferries that use Hesham are all 30 feet longer than the Manxman and they don’t struggle to manoeuvre. Manxman isn’t really much taller- the Sea truck ships are big.

I know one of the main nautical peeps on the IOMSPCo

The new boat, as Kipper99 has said, is all those things very wrong. 

It is not suitable for the 2 main ports it needs to dock at, Douglas and Heysham.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It the height and solidity of the side profile, I’d assume. Stena and Sea Truck don’t have the high, solid passenger deck superstructure and even the upper freight deck side walls have cut outs.

The windage isn’t very different, given the Seatruck ferries are forty feet longer and have a similar height profile. The Seatruck ferries are big pieces of kit.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Plus, of course they are freight and aren’t as critical to meet a strict timetable.

That doesn’t change whether they’re capable of berthing in Heysham and, having berthed in Heysham, whether they’re capable of staying put.

33 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I know one of the main nautical peeps on the IOMSPCo

The new boat, as Kipper99 has said, is all those things very wrong.

“My mate’s mate says…”

That’s me convinced. Best scuttle it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1