Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

19 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

And let’s be honest. The outrage would last about two weeks, just like it did with P&O Ferries. There even wasn’t any outrage when Irish Ferries did it.

P&O had all their employees sign settlement agreements which prevented them taking P&O to an Employment Tribunal or discussing the terms of the settlement agreement that is why the interest died down.  One person was taking them to an Employment Tribunal, however, that could still be awaiting a hearing given the backlog in the ET system.  If that does end up in an ET expect to see interest around it once again.

The rest seem to have taken their settlement figures which apparently came for a total of £36.5 million split amongst 800 people. 

The biggest part of the scandal with P&O was their failure to consult with the Unions or to notify the UK Government of their intentions.

30 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Off-island crew are put up in accommodation on-island between shifts, so it would remove that expense.

I didn’t suggest that the Steam Packet should do that. It was a disgraceful thing to do.

I’m just pointing out that the other providers on the Irish Sea did do that. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they got a new crew in that they could come to an agreement with.

The off-Island crew are employed in Guernsey already.

And let’s be honest. The outrage would last about two weeks, just like it did with P&O Ferries. There even wasn’t any outrage when Irish Ferries did it.

You mean the IOMSPC staff are paid via a Guernsey company? 

23 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

P&O had all their employees sign settlement agreements which prevented them taking P&O to an Employment Tribunal or discussing the terms of the settlement agreement that is why the interest died down.  One person was taking them to an Employment Tribunal, however, that could still be awaiting a hearing given the backlog in the ET system.  If that does end up in an ET expect to see interest around it once again.

The rest seem to have taken their settlement figures which apparently came for a total of £36.5 million split amongst 800 people. 

The biggest part of the scandal with P&O was their failure to consult with the Unions or to notify the UK Government of their intentions.

You can't accuse IOMSPCo of not consulting with the union, they've been at it for 2.5 years.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You mean the IOMSPC staff are paid via a Guernsey company? 

I believe their regulations allow for international seafarers to pay tax and NI in their country of residence - and they can get gross pay without deductions from a Guernsey employer. A Manx company employing non Manx crew would take NI (and tax unless they negotiated a ‘no tax’ code) so it’s beneficial for non Manx residents to do this. Same for yacht crew. But I’ve been out of the crewing game for several years and it could have changed. 

23 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I didn't accuse the IOMSPCo for not consulting.  I thought it was very clear I was talking about the P&O debacle. 

Didn't suggest you did. I simply suggested that IOMSPCo ain't PO as they have at least been engaging with other stakeholders for the last 2.5 years.

ETA: For the record I was using the collective "you".... not you personally.

Edited by Andy Onchan

2 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

I believe their regulations allow for international seafarers to pay tax and NI in their country of residence - and they can get gross pay without deductions from a Guernsey employer. A Manx company employing non Manx crew would take NI (and tax unless they negotiated a ‘no tax’ code) so it’s beneficial for non Manx residents to do this. Same for yacht crew. But I’ve been out of the crewing game for several years and it could have changed. 

Yeah, what he said.  It will be very similar to the Super-Yacht crews.  A mix of nationalities on one vessel that is sailing about.  What country they are living and working in could change from day to day.  How do you then determine what country they should pay tax in?  The vessels are usually registered in a low tax jurisdiction of some sort. 

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah, what he said.  It will be very similar to the Super-Yacht crews.  A mix of nationalities on one vessel that is sailing about.  What country they are living and working in could change from day to day.  How do you then determine what country they should pay tax in?  The vessels are usually registered in a low tax jurisdiction of some sort. 

The registration of the vessel doesn’t matter (although it does mean the crew are entitled to that country’s bank holidays) - it’s where the boat is and how many ‘midnights’ they stay in one country - which means they can be international seafarers and legitimately tax-free but everyone does need to have a country of residence. For example a UK resident seafarer that spends over 180 midnights outside the UK could submit a UK tax return and legitimately pay no tax - but I always encouraged them to pay NI so they get pension rights etc. however I know the French were looking closely at time yachts spent in their waters to potentially charge crew with income tax (but again - been out for he game for a while so I’m probably not up to date) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

https://www.flyingfishonline.com/news/do-seafarers-pay-tax-and-other-superyacht-crew-finance-questions-answered/

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

4500 entered the ballot for tickets for the round the Island cruise. My visions of me in the steamer deckchair are disappearing over the horizon faster than the Manxman. 

If I don't win, I will take a deckchair onto the prom to watch her go and come back, whilst quaffing a bottle of Yates' Sweet White Mountain wine, just for old times sake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If I don't win, I will take a deckchair onto the prom to watch her go and come back, whilst quaffing a bottle of Yates' Sweet White Mountain wine, just for old times sake. 

Well beware if you continue to drink alcohol on the prom after being told not to ( by a police officer, or similar I think) you could be in big trouble.

But if I may, I might join you, strength in numbers and all that. 

But not in the bottleneck car park though🇪🇸🇪🇸

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well beware if you continue to drink alcohol on the prom after being told not to ( by a police officer, or similar I think) you could be in big trouble.

But if I may, I might join you, strength in numbers and all that. 

But not in the bottleneck car park though🇪🇸🇪🇸

As long as you don't sit on the walls, you will be welcome!