Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

37 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

What do you do in winter .  Do  you have to transfer the fish indoors ? 

Always wondered what happens to the fish ?

I suppose our winters are not too bad compared to some parts of the UK but we still get snow at times  .

You have to dig an area of the pond deeper than 1.5 metres. That way they have somewhere to go if it gets really really cold. You also can leave a football/tennis balls on the surface of the water so if the top freezes, it makes a little hole so they can come up if they need to. Ponds rarely freeze all the way down to the bottom. Mine always made it though the winter unscathed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

What do you do in winter .  Do  you have to transfer the fish indoors ? 

Always wondered what happens to the fish ?

I suppose our winters are not too bad compared to some parts of the UK but we still get snow at times  .

Nothing, IIRC they go into a kind of torpor and settle at the bottom of the pond.  This was in the south of England, but the winter weather wasn't any better there than here, may have been colder TBH.  

ETA just read the other replies, the football on the pond was one trick but so is having a constant movement of water, like a small waterfall.  This would also help in oxygenation. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Seriously? Are you mad? Oh... Cold blood innit. 

It's a fair question.  Tortoises are cold blooded too, but they hibernate over winter. 

ETA tropical fish are cold blooded too, but they need the water to be heated.  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Why did Manxman not stay on her usual overnight berth outside the Victoria Pier though?

The Ben can’t moor there if the Manxman is already moored there, and the Manxman can’t load from there anyway. So Manxman went out for a pootle about whilst they unloaded the Ben and moved it.

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The Ben can’t moor there if the Manxman is already moored there, and the Manxman can’t load from there anyway. So Manxman went out for a pootle about whilst they unloaded the Ben and moved it.

Oh yeah I know that, it usually just moves once Ben is done unloading and they switch over. Manxman was out at sea for about 8 hours oveenight which was what threw me.

• Like 1