Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's sailed half way round the world to come here. The people own it, it's brand new, it's ours and we want to see it for the first time. That's enough isn't it ?

I will see it when I next drive along the prom, or when I am on it in a few weeks.

That’s enough isn’t it? Rather than getting out of bed and burning fuel to drive there just to see a boat 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's sailed half way round the world to come here. The people own it, it's brand new, it's ours and we want to see it for the first time. That's enough isn't it ?

There has always been that feeling for the Steam Packet boats.  I remember when the previous Ben My Chree arrived, it was exactly the same.  

The island, its people and the Steam Packet are so intertwined.  If you don't get that, you are probably a come over! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There has always been that feeling for the Steam Packet boats.  I remember when the previous Ben My Chree arrived, it was exactly the same.  

The island, its people and the Steam Packet are so intertwined.  If you don't get that, you are probably a come over! 

They haven't got the history, the knowledge or the feeling. Plastic people Glad, with no roots or connection. There's soon to be a new boat in the morning. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They haven't got the history, the knowledge or the feeling. Plastic people Glad, with no roots or connection. There's soon to be a new boat in the morning. 

If that is aimed  at me then it couldn’t be further from the truth.  As Manx as it’s possible to be, paid up member of the familiy history society and pages cupboards full of news clipping about relatives and what they achieved as significant contributors to the island over hundreds of years.

If anyone thinks not getting out of bed on a Sunday to drive and look at a boat means someone isn’t manx or loyal to the island then than is possibly indicative of how narrow minded many manxies are.

I am interested the island getting a newer and better boat.  It’s great news and the pictures of the interior look superb. But it’s just a boat that I will see thousands of times over the coming years.

The plastic manxies are the ones who get excited about something like this or who turn up in Castletown square suddenly interested The Tour de France just because Cav is in it, watch on the big screen and don’t understand why he didn’t win 🙄.  There were a few of those yesterday, absolute whoppers.

Anyway.  The boat looks like a boat and I hope those who are currently stuck in traffic to catch a glimpse feel it was a worthwhile trip.

Thankfully for the rest of us there is always a resident geek at these dull events to post about it on Twitter

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I think it's also the general maritime connection too, part of the culture. Though maybe it's also the rare opportunity to see something tangible for where our money has been spent?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

If that is aimed  at me then it couldn’t be further from the truth.  As Manx as it’s possible to be, paid up member of the familiy history society and pages cupboards full of news clipping about relatives and what they achieved as significant contributors to the island over hundreds of years.

If anyone thinks not getting out of bed on a Sunday to drive and look at a boat means someone isn’t manx or loyal to the island then than is possibly indicative of how narrow minded many manxies are.

I am interested the island getting a newer and better boat.  It’s great news and the pictures of the interior look superb. But it’s just a boat that I will see thousands of times over the coming years.

The plastic manxies are the ones who get excited about something like this or who turn up in Castletown square suddenly interested The Tour de France just because Cav is in it, watch on the big screen and don’t understand why he didn’t win 🙄.  There were a few of those yesterday, absolute whoppers.

Anyway.  The boat looks like a boat and I hope those who are currently stuck in traffic to catch a glimpse feel it was a worthwhile trip.

Thankfully for the rest of us there is always a resident geek at these dull events to post about it on Twitter

It's fine if it doesn’t interest you, but don't criticise those who are interested. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Thanks for letting us know it’s fine not to block Head Road to rubber neck at a boat you’ll see every day for 3 decades- strange behaviour indeed 

It's hardly a main thoroughfare. 

You could say the same about the Red Arrows,  they'll be back next year. 

• Like 1