Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

The Chair of the Climate Change Transformation Board Daffy has given the Manxman her seal of approval, according to the NPM. She has hailed it as a ‘win’ for the Isle of Mans climate journey. I’m sorry Daffy, the ship wasn’t designed to please you specifically or your ego, ship design has changed greatly, and so has technology so it’s common sense and economical use of resources. 

Is IOMG and it’s arm length organisations having to consult Daffy before undergoing any works, to get her opinions? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The Chair of the Climate Change Transformation Board Daffy has given the Manxman her seal of approval, according to the NPM. She has hailed it as a ‘win’ for the Isle of Mans climate journey. I’m sorry Daffy, the ship wasn’t designed to please you specifically or your ego, ship design has changed greatly, and so has technology so it’s common sense and economical use of resources. 

Is IOMG and it’s arm length organisations having to consult Daffy before undergoing any works, to get her opinions? 

Saw that.  It's got a really efficient DIESEL engine.  So that is somehow a win in Daffers' deluded fairy flower world.  We'll ignore the fact that there are plenty of places with electric ferries that run on power from actual renewable resources. 

The irony is, that I would like to agree with and back our 'Green Party' but they are all clearly getting high on their own supply.  Every time any of them opens their mouths, my default is now significant skepticism awaiting what ever bollocks they are going to spout. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Saw that.  It's got a really efficient DIESEL engine.  So that is somehow a win in Daffers' deluded fairy flower world.  We'll ignore the fact that there are plenty of places with electric ferries that run on power from actual renewable resources. 

The specification is online somewhere I read it the other day but it seems to be some sort of diesel generator which directly drives an electric drive train like a hybrid car. There was some comment about no judder as if the electric motors somehow directly drive the propeller. On that basis I’d be more worried that it sounds incredibly experimental and may well prove to be a challenge if anything goes wrong. The braindead eco nonsense the lot of them spout is unbelievable though I agree - especially in this case as I doubt until they take the Manannan out of service they’ll have reduced their emissions at all. 

21 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The specification is online somewhere I read it the other day but it seems to be some sort of diesel generator which directly drives an electric drive train like a hybrid car. There was some comment about no judder as if the electric motors somehow directly drive the propeller. On that basis I’d be more worried that it sounds incredibly experimental and may well prove to be a challenge if anything goes wrong. The braindead eco nonsense the lot of them spout is unbelievable though I agree - especially in this case as I doubt until they take the Manannan out of service they’ll have reduced their emissions at all. 

Groundbreaking.

Haven't submarines been using diesel/electric engines since WW1? 

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Ah Ok. That’s a no then.

Any links to anything even remotely comparable to the Manxman in terms of size and is actually built?

I didn't say anything comparable.  I said plenty of electric ferries.  Although you'll see from those links that the Uruguay one will definitely be a similar size and is being built right now. 

• Haha 1