Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

I been told by a member of the crew there trying to introduce 2 weeks on (live aboard) two weeks of.

Those work patterns would be typical with international shipping companies sailing long distance routes but not on an Irish Sea ferry company doing shuttles there and back. These crew have got homes and families. I hope we're not going to see the Manxman's crew offered cowboy contracts (Constructive dismissal) so they can bring in cheap foreign crews.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That's a nuclear submarine work roster.

I’m not sure that it is - I understand that the nuclear version of the submarine can spend up to three months at sea.   Swapping crews might be awkward…

Edited by Jarndyce
  • Haha 1

2 weeks on 2 weeks off is a more suitable option in my opinion if you want to try keep costs down for us as pax also. 

Would like to know the actual current percentage of crew who live on the Island, as my understanding is a large percentage are currently travelling from off Island and even from further afield i.e. Latvia & Portugal for example. 

This would make sense why they are looking to implement a 2 week on/off roster for the conventional vessels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Those work patterns would be typical with international shipping companies sailing long distance routes but not on an Irish Sea ferry company doing shuttles there and back.

Wrong.

I can name you  4 companies whose crews are operating in the Irish Sea who work 2 weeks on off rotations. 

International companies you will more likely find a 4/4 rotation or even more! Example currently seeing is an 8 week on 4 week off rotation. 

2 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

I take it you know nothing about the actual rates being offered by the Steam Packet to the temporary crew then? Considering only CalMac pay a higher rate than the Steam Packet! 

You sound like you know what you are talking about.

Will not go down well here, especially with JW - he of omnipresent intelligence of everything known to man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

You sound like you know what you are talking about.

Will not go down well here, especially with JW - he of omnipresent intelligence of everything known to man.

I tend to lurk for the majority of the time.. but if there is one thing i am more than happy to challenge on and discuss it is current seafaring trends, rates and laws etc. 

And sounding that I know what I am talking about is half the battle! 😁

Edited by Manxweegie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

I take it you know nothing about the actual rates being offered by the Steam Packet to the temporary crew then? Considering only CalMac pay a higher rate than the Steam Packet! 

I was joking with Frank. No one from Bavaria is going to do a low paid job

• Like 1
  • Haha 3