Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

37 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I remember an article back in '98 that was published in a similar vein... it was about the locals moaning at a brand new £25m~ ferry. Some people got most upset.

I’m sure the round the island cruise in mid September on the Manxman will sell out quickly. IOMG will be delighted at all those going for a skeet, paying £35 a ticket and then paying extra for food and drink. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’m sure the round the island cruise in mid September on the Manxman will sell out quickly. IOMG will be delighted at all those going for a skeet, paying £35 a ticket and then paying extra for food and drink. 

There won’t be drink. The Steam Packet vessels aren’t licensed and the round island cruise will be entirely in territorial limits.

They used to be licensed. Served alcohol from the minute you boarded in Douglas or until the minute you tied up when arriving. There were several drunken brawls and the police were called to meet arriving boats.

The licensing court hauled the Steam Packet over the coals and wanted a designated officials team for each vessel. Steam Packet wasn’t interested and surrendered their licences.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I note they still haven't managed to sort the licencing situation out despite the change of ownership. Thats pretty pathetic.

What licensing position. If you’re talking about alcohol it’s because the Steam Packet doesn’t want to take on the responsibility of licensee.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There won’t be drink. The Steam Packet vessels aren’t licensed and the round island cruise will be entirely in territorial limits.

They used to be licensed. Served alcohol from the minute you boarded in Douglas or until the minute you tied up when arriving. There were several drunken brawls and the police were called to meet arriving boats.

The licensing court hauled the Steam Packet over the coals and wanted a designated officials team for each vessel. Steam Packet wasn’t interested and surrendered their licences.

I’m sure they will hope to sell lots of coffee, tea and fizzy drinks. Perhaps they are putting bacon and sausage baps? 

What licensing position. If you’re talking about alcohol it’s because the Steam Packet doesn’t want to take on the responsibility of licensee.

I don't blame them. Had plenty of crossings marred by roaring drunken idiots, even some when it seemed I was the only sober person aboard. Giving them an hour or so less to indulge probably mitigates the problem a little.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

I don't blame them. Had plenty of crossings marred by roaring drunken idiots, even some when it seemed I was the only sober person aboard. Giving them an hour or so less to indulge probably mitigates the problem a little.

That’d be true if they didn’t serve alcohol at all. But they do, and they announce closing in plenty of time for the drinkers to line up plenty to last until alongside. There is no hour less to consume. Just to buy. 

Like you, I’ve experienced how unpleasant it can be to travel on a boat of intoxicated fellow passengers. Did the Bay of Biscay on Pride of Bilbao 25 years ago. 2 night crossing. Large groups of biker “chapters”. Drank all first night, and all next day. If there’d been an emergency it would have been mayhem.

I don’t agree with your conclusion. It’s the Steam Packet abdicating responsibility for operating a safe bar and avoiding the problem of policing their customers and being exposed to sanction if they serve drunks.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Quite. It's not even a couple of hours is it? You can purchase for the greater part of the crossing.

It is pathetic that 15? years since they stopped selling alcohol in manx waters there has been no interest in sorting an obviously anomalous situation out.  

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Different licensing laws for visiting vessels.

I see. So a visiting vessel to the IOM is not restricted.

I agree with you. It's never been a problem for us. Not sure if it effects the level of drunkenness as those who are determined will catch up, but we have never minded waiting an hour to have a drink.