Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It is pathetic that 15? years since they stopped selling alcohol in manx waters there has been no interest in sorting an obviously anomalous situation out.  

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I see. So a visiting vessel to the IOM is not restricted.

I agree with you. It's never been a problem for us. Not sure if it effects the level of drunkenness as those who are determined will catch up, but we have never minded waiting an hour to have a drink. 

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But it's not an anomaly if it's the same as UK licencing law. 

It doesn’t matter, does it? The solution is fairly and squarely in the hands of the Steam Packet. Licence boats and train a number of crew to be DO, or equivalent under the new Act, and ensure there are always two on duty.

Historically the licensee was the Company Secretary or General Manager ( I remember Sid Shimmin holding licences for 7 or 8 boats at once ).

The regs under the new Act say

IMG_4871.jpeg

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’d be true if they didn’t serve alcohol at all. But they do, and they announce closing in plenty of time for the drinkers to line up plenty to last until alongside. There is no hour less to consume. Just to buy. 

Like you, I’ve experienced how unpleasant it can be to travel on a boat of intoxicated fellow passengers. Did the Bay of Biscay on Pride of Bilbao 25 years ago. 2 night crossing. Large groups of biker “chapters”. Drank all first night, and all next day. If there’d been an emergency it would have been mayhem.

I don’t agree with your conclusion. It’s the Steam Packet abdicating responsibility for operating a safe bar and avoiding the problem of policing their customers and being exposed to sanction if they serve drunks.

Agree with para 2 wholeheartedly. Certainly exhibits the limitations of the species in sharp relief. It's certainly a bad look for the SPCo if the police have to come and meet the boat!

I do get what you're saying in para 3, but it's negated to some extent by your valid response to me in para 1. They'll just buy it anyway before the bar shuts or, if they're canny, in the supermarket before they embark.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

Agree with para 2 wholeheartedly. Certainly exhibits the limitations of the species in sharp relief. It's certainly a bad look for the SPCo if the police have to come and meet the boat!

I do get what you're saying in para 3, but it's negated to some extent by your valid response to me in para 1. They'll just buy it anyway before the bar shuts or, if they're canny, in the supermarket before they embark.

Lining up your purchases from the bar before entering Manx waters is very expensive BYO for that final 12 miles

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't think you can drink your own drinks on the boat.

You can. And if you bought from the unlicensed bar outside Manx jurisdiction then they become your drinks and a form of BYO ( but in a glass ) after you cross the border.

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Lining up your purchases from the bar before entering Manx waters is very expensive BYO for that final 12 miles

It certainly can make for a very unpleasant ambience on the crossing. Like I said before, I've known crossings from Liverpool, especially on Sunday evenings for some reason, where it's seemed that everybody was plastered. I appreciate that's just a perception but a high proportion nonetheless. Young and old, male and female no barrier at all it seemed, all totally rat-arsed. The point you made about mayhem in an emergency is valid too. Why are people so bloody dependent on it? A poor reflection on society.

Just now, woolley said:

It certainly can make for a very unpleasant ambience on the crossing. Like I said before, I've known crossings from Liverpool, especially on Sunday evenings for some reason, where it's seemed that everybody was plastered. I appreciate that's just a perception but a high proportion nonetheless. Young and old, male and female no barrier at all it seemed, all totally rat-arsed. The point you made about mayhem in an emergency is valid too. Why are people so bloody dependent on it? A poor reflection on society.

Chelsea fans.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Wow, we are agreed on something. It’s one of the reasons I maintain my Exec Club membership. Quiet space, and, as the limited booze offering is free the service doesn’t stop at the demarcation line. It’s naff cheap single measure wine bottles, so doesn’t have many takers.

7 hours ago, Banker said:

Cracking article from Gef on some locals whining they’re not getting a free cruise around island 

https://gef.im/news/transport/fury-as-steam-packet-sell-tickets-38660/?fbclid=IwAR1STHPmhphf59eniqkhnuRkiCE5jGacxepLrUUgweMAVPkZmMfRdtZCFDY

This Gef article is actually quite amusing. First thing of theirs I have read that is.

The Port Soderick Herald could have learned from this. Is that still going in any medium, print or digital?

In a Douglas bar an 'exuberant' patron can be ejected, not so on a boat.

On a works day out, one of our party got seriously obstreperous for the return journey, neither we nor the pursuer could keep him in control!!! Ashore, he'd have been thrown out, poss police informed and end of matter but the SP don't have that option, there's aname for a  holding cell on a boat but I don't think the SP would want that publicity???

57 minutes ago, Kopek said:

In a Douglas bar an 'exuberant' patron can be ejected, not so on a boat.

On a works day out, one of our party got seriously obstreperous for the return journey, neither we nor the pursuer could keep him in control!!! Ashore, he'd have been thrown out, poss police informed and end of matter but the SP don't have that option, there's aname for a  holding cell on a boat but I don't think the SP would want that publicity???

they used to lock em in the brig ! in the old days a couple  of hairy arsed sailors  would have sorted him  and some of the old steam packet boats carried handcuffs , then me met by the local constable, and the walk of shame ! down the gangplank 

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

You can. And if you bought from the unlicensed bar outside Manx jurisdiction then they become your drinks and a form of BYO ( but in a glass ) after you cross the border.

I wasn't meaning it was unlawful, the steam packet don't allow you to bring your own drinks on board last time I checked.