Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That's a really good article. I went off GEF when he became Howie's whore but I think he's well and truly learned his lesson from that one and, like the rest of us, will keep away from as many goverment intitiaitives as possible.

People have forgotten to be grateful. I know we're bomabarded with bad news and I know whe're all going to hell in a handcart (again) but we really do seem to be coercing a lot of people into becomeing extremely entitiitled and grabbing out at everything and anything that they believe is their sovereign right.

There's nothing like the daily practice of gratitude to lift the spirits and show us all the wonderful things we have around us. We've never lived in a time of more abundance and yet the daily practice seems to be one of lack.

I wish we'd get back to basics a bit more. Being grateful leads to a happier life and the more grateful we are the more we receive. I mean, why would we get any more if we can't appreciate and look after what we already have.

Gef summed it all up rather well and I hope it made the whiners think a little.

Anyway, I've applied for the ballot. It's well worth 35 squids for a four hour cruise (£8.75 an hour) to see the island from a brand new boat before it gets trashed. I might even wear a frock.

It all started a downward spiral at some point during the 80's. Some say it was Thatcher. But the British Isles entered this "I'm alright, Jack" downward spiral. 

I think it's been worsened by social media giving a platform to people that they wouldn't of otherwise had. 

The world peaked sometime prior to 2004. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It all started a downward spiral at some point during the 80's. Some say it was Thatcher. But the British Isles entered this "I'm alright, Jack" downward spiral. 

I think it's been worsened by social media giving a platform to people that they wouldn't of otherwise had. 

The world peaked sometime prior to 2004. 

34 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I remember it well. We adopted the, "Greed is good" philosophy in the belief that the wealth creation it was going to bring would solve all our social ills.

There was, "No such thing as society", it's all about looking after yourself and grabbing as much as you can for yourself, of course some were much better positioned to actually do the grabbing than others and took full advantage and continue to do so. It's been going on so long now that we accept the it as the norm.

How good society was about looking after those less able to do the grabbing was never really on the agenda and has been dealt with on an ad hoc basis ever since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There was, "No such thing as society", it's all about looking after yourself and grabbing as much as you can for yourself, of course some were much better positioned to actually do the grabbing than others and took full advantage and continue to do so. It's been going on so long now that we accept the it as the norm.

Or to quote Her more fully:

"I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand “I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!” or “I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!” “I am homeless, the Government must house me!” and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour  . . . 

and then

"There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate. "

All of which says something quite different to the impression leftards aim to create when they quote Her out of context.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Yibble said:

All of which says something quite different to the impression leftards aim to create when they quote Her out of context.

To be fair both sides of the political divide are the problem. 

As we see now in the UK the extreme right of the Tory party continues to destabilise the party as it clings to power. Meanwhile the extreme left of Labour continues to undermine the leadership of the opposition as they throw a tantrum that Corbyn is no longer leader. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

If the security staff find alcohol in your luggage they will insist you put it in the hold until you disembark, I have seen this happen numerous times. 

That's correct ..Foot passengers cannot take alcohol on board ...But if you have it in the car you can carry it inside after parking the car 😉

• Like 1

I don’t know. I had visions of me, in my frock (and sun hat) on a steamer deck chair looking out over the island, sipping camomile from my 1950’s vintage flask, exchanging the odd greeting with a passing soul but now it appears I’ve entered a ballot for a booze cruise? This won’t do. No sir. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2