Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

Just now, 0bserver said:

That's an urban myth.

I have been watching journey times for the Saturday night Belfast service all summer.  Five and a quarter to five and a half hours is the norm.  Four and three-quarter hours advertised.  Ship going slower - why?

43 minutes ago, Rab said:

A £78,000,000 new ship. It cannot go out in the dark or a stiff breeze? I feel that health and safety have gone overboard here. The Manannan is sailing as normal tomorrow, the Manxman cannot?

Don't underestimate the number of various ports and tides that masters and crews have to be trained on. Irish sea ports are varied in conditions and can be unpredictable and dangerous.

There are 500 wrecks around the Isle of man, many of which underestimated that fact.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

And on that note...

https://gef.im/news/politics/packet-wants-to-drop-ben-38864/?fbclid=IwAR2Ybab_HjcRf46eLKJNf8Di07eJHDlpPgm9R05dqJtBIrYQS39gooQliyo

Sounds like they want to sell BMC! This would mean they wouldn't be able to charter out Manannan in the winter surely.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jsW9MlYu31g

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Too much wind, apparently according to the press.

Who would have thought that there was wind in the Irish Sea?

FFS, This is a clusterfuck of even more standing than the shed in Liverpool.

Look at the video that Amadeus posted on X showing the 2 ships.

Look at the side elevation of both ships, which looks like it will catch the wind worse than the other?

Answers on the back of a postcard/ email to AlfHomeAlone57@AOL.com

Do give over. Get your blood pressure checked too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Three words you don’t normally use to describe a return trip to heysham but: that was fun! What an amazing boat. Something to be proud of and a great first impression for visitors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I couldn't agree more; but how would you justify pulling out of Liverpool now, given what the taxpayers have invested into it, willingly or unwillingly? We have sacrificed any of the flexibility that you suggest in favour of digging ourselves into a financial black hole that will impact every island taxpayer, traveller and consumer for many years to come.

The term "strategic" to the island can cover a lot of open territory. View it like an umbrella that shelters island must have items. Obviously like the airport, meat plant, ferry etc.

I personally think that the Liverpool berth fails the "strategic" test by the simple fact that you can't use it to load and unload freight. So if Heysham is unusable due to silting, damaged craft blockage, a catastrophic meltdown of the Uranium core in Heysham 2 or whatever then the £70 - £80m lavished on Half Tide Dock is going to look a tad profligate to put it mildly...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Here's a business proposition..  we club together and buy the Ben and make a fortune chartering it back to the IOMSPC?

Ooooh yes l will definitely smash my piggy bank open. Just think of the return packet....

12 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Too much wind, apparently according to the press.

Who would have thought that there was wind in the Irish Sea?

FFS, This is a clusterfuck of even more standing than the shed in Liverpool.

Look at the video that Amadeus posted on X showing the 2 ships.

Look at the side elevation of both ships, which looks like it will catch the wind worse than the other?

Answers on the back of a postcard/ email to AlfHomeAlone57@AOL.com

I might be wrong but it is not due to the greater side area if the Manxman. Is it not the sea conditions that are the issue? 40mph winds for 24 hrs + will bring on a deep swell. I think it's more wind = rough sea rather than wind blows ship. 

Edited by Happier diner

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I might be wrong but it is not due to the greater side area if the Manxman. Is it not the sea conditions that are the issue? 40mph winds for 24 hrs + will bring on a deep swell. I think it's more wind = rough sea rather than wind blows ship. 

yachts don't work very well without sails.

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You’re wrong. 

Manannan will be sailing so swell/wave height can’t be all that much ( less than 3 metres )

Steam Packet are specifically saying they’ve adopted a 24 mph wind limit in Heysham Harbour ( the harbour isn’t likely to be affected by “swell” or rough waves

Selling the Ben makes sense on paper, but it depends if they want to retain any strategic redundancy for passenger services. 

The Arrow obviously provides freight cover, and that is the bread and butter that provides profit and subsidises passenger farss, but it can't provide passenger cover. 

Days when Manxman goes out of service and it's too rough for the fast craft... they may not be that rare. 

Although as IOMSPC purchased Arrow for €9m, is this a foregone conclusion?