Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

3 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

Just as the Manxman has completed one revenue rotation Isle of Man Today are reporting that the packet are in talks with government to sell the Ben and keep Arrow and Manannan. 

From a commercial perspective it makes sense, the Ben will have a much bigger retail value than Arrow and keeping the passenger areas up to scratch will cost more money. Arrow also brings in plenty of revenue when it’s not needed, with Arrow often getting leased out to Condor Ferries and Northlink Ferries.

36 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

There will be some swell today.  Big for the summer, but not much compared to the winter.  The wind will be Easterly over in Heysham, but the storm is centred farther south and will generate a southerly swell which will travel up the Irish sea (maybe 3 / 4m open sea max).  Waves will also bend and refract into bays or harbours.  Although from my recollection Heysham should be relatively sheltered. 

Speaking as someone who has spent some time actually driving boats (speedboats/RIBs/yachts) I think this is just them easing into getting used to the berthing in Heysham.  It's a big expensive boat and Heysham is pretty sketchy.  It's going to be blowing a hoolie later and I'm sure they want to get a decent bit of experience in lower winds first.  They've got the ability to run an alternative, so why risk it?  Hopefully. 

Stop talking such good sense😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Never observed a 24,000T kite that's sat with half of its body under the water. If I do I'll let you know out it turned out

Airbus are working on it. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/30/travel/airseas-giant-kites-ships-slash-carbon-emissions-scn-climate-spc/index.html

Groundbreaking modern technology of putting a sail on a ship.  Someone really should have thought of this earlier 🤣

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Never observed a 24,000T kite that's sat with half of its body under the water. If I do I'll let you know out it turned out . 

I'm sticking to my view

Asking for a friend.

Snaefell Mountain Railway has suspended operations. Swell or wind?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

half of its body under the water

Archimedes displacement not your strong point. 

She draws 5metres/17 feet - fully laden. There’s 15/20% under the water line and 80/85% above, depending how much she’s carrying.

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Archimedes displacement not your strong point. 

She draws 5metres/17 feet - fully laden. There’s 15/20% under the water line and 80/85% above, depending how much she’s carrying.

I am an expert in Archimedes displacement. It is my strong point😀

I was referring to mass not volume

Maybe they shouldn't sell the Ben until the Manxman has proven it can make more sailings in a winter and not less than the Ben. Being a pessimist I can forsee expensive alterations coming for Heysham and Liverpool once they have 'experience' docking the Manxman.

I certainly wouldn't like to be on it if it ever lost power navigating the proposed windfarms in strong winds or will they have to go round them on the leeward side (adding an hour or two to the journey)?

• Like 2