Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I think this is just them easing into getting used to the berthing in Heysham.  It's a big expensive boat and Heysham is pretty sketchy.  It's going to be blowing a hoolie later and I'm sure they want to get a decent bit of experience in lower winds first.  They've got the ability to run an alternative, so why risk it?  Hopefully. 

The new vessel, Manxman, which carried paying passengers for the first time today, is currently operating under a temporary 26-knot wind limit for entries to Heysham Port as part of the 'gradual build-up of knowledge and experience of operating the new vessel'.

‘As we build up real world experience on Manxman in a variety of conditions the temporary limits on Heysham will be raised, but until then we will continue to feel our way in to operating this excellent new vessel.’

Yeah, like I said.   But let's not allow this to get in the way of all you marine engineers, mariners and meteorologists.  I know we've now come to expect everything to be a massive cock-up, but I'm willing to give them a chance for the moment. 

• Like 3

The Manxman is no bigger or higher than the Seatruck ferries that also use Heysham. It’s a brand new boat, why risk using it when the Ben is there?

The struck ferries are freight only so have no passenger accommodation.  The Manxman has passenger accommodation for 800 plus and so has little open car deck space, so high windage.The seatruck ferries have an almost fully open top deck so much lower windage, the Ben is between the two.  The Manxman will have a lower limit on the windspeed than the Ben and the seatruck ferries higher windspeed limits than the Ben in Heysham Harbour. 

Has Capt Carter not said the Wendy Ann will struggle to push the Manxman alongside when needed. 

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Now the Ben isn't going either. Mysterious events.

second busiest  weekend in the year  for visitors , and were closing the ferries down ?  there will be a lot of wet tired and pissed off visitors and motorcyclists in Liverpool and Heysham , all we want is Easy jet to do the same , and thats it total shutdown ,

4 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Seen the wind? 50+mph from the south, worst possible.

I'm aware it is windy, I had to strap an elastic band round my hat to keep it on.

Strange for them to announce the Ben cancellation but not the seacat, though that will likely follow.

44 minutes ago, Omobono said:

second busiest  weekend in the year  for visitors , and were closing the ferries down ?  there will be a lot of wet tired and pissed off visitors and motorcyclists in Liverpool and Heysham , all we want is Easy jet to do the same , and thats it total shutdown ,

Yeah it's blowing a hoolie and will be tomorrow morning too.  Not normal for such strong winds in the summer to be honest.  You know they do occasionally cancel the boat in the winter too when it's windy AF. 

Unless it's all of course a conspiracy by the Govt and Steam Packet just to purchase a new boat that can only be used by members of the House of Keys for their own personal jaunts.  I've heard a rumour @Stu Peters is taking her down to Monaco for a few weeks with some nubile models.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2