Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What I can't understand is how they were sure that things would be so bad that they could cancel both Heysham sailings, but leave Liverpool to be determined till this morning.

I said this yesterday, they cancelled the almost all weather boat early but not the summer one. It's also weird that it sailed over night at the height of the storm but is cancelled today when things are settling down.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What I can't understand is how they were sure that things would be so bad that they could cancel both Heysham sailings, but leave Liverpool to be determined till this morning.

Different ports I guess. Easier to sail up the protected Mersey than bouncing into narrow Heysham. Not like they didn’t crash there a few times before. 

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I said this yesterday, they cancelled the almost all weather boat early but not the summer one. It's also weird that it sailed over night at the height of the storm but is cancelled today when things are settling down.

Might feel settled but the swell is still out there. Plus it’s hard to predict to the minute what it will be like. 

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Might feel settled but the swell is still out there. Plus it’s hard to predict to the minute what it will be like. 

It doesnt feel terribly settled out and about, its that horrible squally wind that seems to come from all directions. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a ferry.

• Like 1

There also is the insurance aspect of sailing in heavy seas that has to be taken into consideration when the Master makes his decision, one piece of freight that breaks loose can cause carnage.    Also when safety is mentioned often sinking or something equally dramatic comes to mind but the cost of broken hips, arms, legs etc amongst passengers and crew is a real concern when really strong seas are running.    There were people on FB last night giving out big time because the boats were not sailing I do not understand the mentality of the thinking behind this half witted at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Further to answer by Amadeus, the wind direction is usually the big thing with Heysham. Anything with a southerly bias is not so great for the narrow entrance. Not so much Liverpool. Well, not yet!

Also, more generally, sometimes there may be a "window" when it is thought that a Manannan dash there and back in a few hours might be feasible. For Ben it has to be sailable all day.

48 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The swell will apply at least as much the fast craft though.  The question isn't so much why they cancelled the Heysham as why they didn't do the same for Liverpool then or earlier.

I suspect it may have more to do with not wanting to have to deal with so many re-bookings all at once - especially as a lot of MGP ones may have manual intervention.  And the commercial freight people prefer advance notice - better never have the wagon never leave the depot than have it hanging around Heysham.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The swell will apply at least as much the fast craft though.  The question isn't so much why they cancelled the Heysham as why they didn't do the same for Liverpool then or earlier.

I suspect it may have more to do with not wanting to have to deal with so many re-bookings all at once - especially as a lot of MGP ones may have manual intervention.  And the commercial freight people prefer advance notice - better never have the wagon never leave the depot than have it hanging around Heysham.

Commercial factors do not influence the masters' decisions whether to sail. Or so we are told.

And, of course, the sea is a tricky customer. The swell can be a lot different on the run to Heysham than to Liverpool, and changing all the time.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Commercial factors do not influence the masters' decisions whether to sail. Or so we are told.

They certainly shouldn't force a sailing to happen (and I don't think they do), but they might dictate the time when the decision is made.  And that isn't a bad thing, though it can lead to complaints if the weather improves unexpectedly.

As to Heysham not being great for the prevailing wind direction in the Irish Sea.  That's not great is it?

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

They certainly shouldn't force a sailing to happen (and I don't think they do), but they might dictate the time when the decision is made.  And that isn't a bad thing, though it can lead to complaints if the weather improves unexpectedly.

As to Heysham not being great for the prevailing wind direction in the Irish Sea.  That's not great is it?

Not particularly, but we aren't blessed with great alternatives on a westerly facing coast, as has been examined interminably in the "Taxpayers Dig Deep" saga.

• Like 1