Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You mean, most thick people wank.

Therefore most people who wank are thick. Sound logical - for Manx Forums, anyway. But I think this needs to be confirmed by the feminist part of society - but they are all too polite to take part in this kind of scientific analysis.

And they have no sense of humour. Did you ever wonder about that? Everything is down to evolution, genetics, procreation and stuff - in other words, sex. Why do women need 50 pairs of shoes, none of which are suitable for walking in? Evolution, genetics, sex.

The one thing (of many) that I cannot work out is what part of evolution resulted in women having no sense of humour.

Of course, it could be just the women I have known (so to speak) have no sense of humour.

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. 

Time has come for the Manx public to start asking the question as to whether the Manxman III is another Naval Architect/purchase error of the magnitude of Mona’s Isle/Free Enterprise.

If it is it could has similar serious consequences for the viability of the company and our island lifeline.

The Ben won’t be going anywhere in terms of a disposal.

It’s time for the Steam Packet to come clean.

Been chatting to several well connected  people since the voyage from Korea started. Then the delayed commissioning. Then this last weekend’s events

Manxman didn’t not sail Friday 18 August as the Master was not confident of being able to manoeuvre her in the forecast wind, so the Ben was rostered in her place. 

Saturday saw a similar issue, plus,  with the forecast  direction of the wind,  the Master was not confident of being able to keep Manxman on her home berth, as she is too big for it.

So she put to sea on western side of island for shelter, and not for bad weather testing as some have said.

The Ben was perfectly capable of undertaking the Saturday daytime sailing instead of Manxman, but didn’t sail, not due to weather, but because there was no Master available.

They only duty master had to sail the Manxman out to shelter.  A request was put out by management for an off duty Master to come in for the Ben.

None of the off duty Masters would come in as a favour for the Company as relations between staff and management is at an all time low due to management trying to impose 2 weeks on 2 off,  live aboard rotations. This is in the dispute  phase and the feeling is so bad it might easily end up in industrial action. 

Manxman was further delayed on Sunday morning due to the Master on duty not being confident of taking her in on a flood tide,  something the Ben would have no trouble with. 

Crew feeling, based on experience, is that Manxman is too big, too much windage for safe manoeuvring in Port. 

Crew are also claiming this has been known about for over 3 years, as it was predicted by tank tests, and computer simulations, which were ignored by the Steam Packet managing director and the board.

It’s said one master felt so strongly about it he approached the managing director and asked him directly if he understood  how serious the tests results were. Everyone who has spoken  up about it is alleged to have been threatened and bullied by management. 

Crew are saying Manxman is beset with issues ranging from vibration to excessive fuel consumption. It’s using nearly 40% more fuel than the Ben. That can be confirmed from the Korea trip.

Consensus seems to be that Manxman has ended up being vanity project gone wrong, and the boat is not fit for purpose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Time has come for the Manx public to start asking the question as to whether the Manxman III is another Naval Architect/purchase error of the magnitude of Mona’s Isle/Free Enterprise.

If it is it could has similar serious consequences for the viability of the company and our island lifeline.

Been chatting to several well connected  people since the voyage from Korea started. Then the delayed commissioning. Then this last weekend’s events

Manxman didn’t not sail Friday 18 August as the Master was not confident of being able to manoeuvre her in the forecast wind, so the Ben was rostered in her place. 

Saturday saw a similar issue, plus,  with the forecast  direction of the wind,  the Master was not confident of being able to keep Manxman on her home berth, as she is too big for it.

So she put to sea on western side of island for shelter, and not for bad weather testing as some have said.

The Ben was perfectly capable of undertaking the Saturday daytime sailing instead of Manxman, but didn’t sail, not due to weather, but because there was no Master available.

They only duty master had to sail the Manxman out to shelter.  A request was put out by management for an off duty Master to come in for the Ben.

None of the off duty Masters would come in as a favour for the Company as relations between staff and management is at an all time low due to management trying to impose 2 weeks on 2 off,  live aboard rotations. This is in the dispute  phase and the feeling is so bad it might easily end up in industrial action. 

Manxman was further delayed on Sunday morning due to the Master on duty not being confident of taking her in on a flood tide,  something the Ben would have no trouble with. 

Crew feeling, based on experience, is that Manxman is too big, too much windage for safe manoeuvring in Port. 

Crew are also claiming this has been known about for over 3 years, as it was predicted by tank tests, and computer simulations, which were ignored by the Steam Packet managing director and the board.

It’s said one master felt so strongly about it he approached the managing director and asked him directly if he understood  how serious the tests results were. Everyone who has spoken  up about it is alleged to have been threatened and bullied by management. 

Crew are saying Manxman is beset with issues ranging from vibration to excessive fuel consumption. It’s using nearly 40% more fuel than the Ben. That can be confirmed from the Korea trip.

Consensus seems to be that Manxman has ended up being vanity project gone wrong, and the boat is not fit for purpose.

VOR where are you ??? come and defend please cos sensible people can't.

no doubt the GMP will be stumping up for that cruise ship terminal/berth we didn't need.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Even I could have told you that, just based on the capacity. Same as with the boats for the Scottish islands.

57 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Don’t worry, I’m sure lessons will be learned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I am looking forward to reviews from customers who have sailed on it.

Well @Amadeusdid the trip in her and made a video, singing its praises. 

The Ship looks lovely, with much needed facilities, and long overdue. The Ben has served the island well and to some extent is relatively reliable, if a little shabby, and in need of a refurb, but it’s still got lots of life left in her. 

If there are any faults found with the Manxman they will be attributed to the design of the ship, and IOMSPC. I do wonder of our politicos have played a part, with interference in the building and design of the ship? 

• Like 1

I see the Ben is tied up alongside the Victoria Pier  and yet were told because  of the cancellation of sailings on Saturday some people cant get here until Thursday , some horsey  people I know have been told stay in the UK until Saturday  as the packet cant  get them and the horses home until then , 

its rumoured part of the problem is the Packet don't have enough officers and  crew  to operate 3 vessels  which in effect  means one  ship is out of service and tied up at any one time , 

so for the second busiest  week of the year  we are letting passengers down and probably turning away customers , ?

• Sad 1

If the Ben my Chree is so good ( and I will not take issue with that), could the company or government not have said to a builder I’ll have a new one of them please.  It’s a ferry not the QE bloody 3.  Why they had to build a cruise ferry for Douglas Heysham or Douglas Liverpool beats me.  The Isle of Man is living beyond its wallet.  Condor ( not a company known for its straight thinking) needed a new conventional for freight and pax so they bought the Straitsmsn a Ben/Commodore Clipper of 2005, gave her a good re fit and the Condor Islander is ready for work. At the same time the SPC are “ not confident” in a brand new vessel that even to the outsider has far too much windage for small harbours in a blow.  This boat is going to miss many crossings this winter.  Better build a bridge or tunnel, that will be Cannons next big idea. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

If the Ben my Chree is so good ( and I will not take issue with that), could the company or government not have said to a builder I’ll have a new one of them please.  It’s a ferry not the QE bloody 3.  Why they had to build a cruise ferry for Douglas Heysham or Douglas Liverpool beats me.  The Isle of Man is living beyond its wallet.  Condor ( not a company known for its straight thinking) needed a new conventional for freight and pax so they bought the Straitsmsn a Ben/Commodore Clipper of 2005, gave her a good re fit and the Condor Islander is ready for work. At the same time the SPC are “ not confident” in a brand new vessel that even to the outsider has far too much windage for small harbours in a blow.  This boat is going to miss many crossings this winter.  Better build a bridge or tunnel, that will be Cannons next big idea. 

The Ben's design is not suitable for the Irish sea, hence the addition of 450 tons (?) of concrete. The Irish sea is, i believe quite shallow and hulls are ideally designed for this.

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I see the Ben is tied up alongside the Victoria Pier  and yet were told because  of the cancellation of sailings on Saturday some people cant get here until Thursday , some horsey  people I know have been told stay in the UK until Saturday  as the packet cant  get them and the horses home until then , 

its rumoured part of the problem is the Packet don't have enough officers and  crew  to operate 3 vessels  which in effect  means one  ship is out of service and tied up at any one time , 

so for the second busiest  week of the year  we are letting passengers down and probably turning away customers , ?

You want the Steam Packet to employ a full crew to sit on standby 48 weeks of the year? The Ben will be sold anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The Ben's design is not suitable for the Irish sea, hence the addition of 450 tons (?) of concrete. The Irish sea is, i believe quite shallow and hulls are ideally designed for this.

IIRC the design was ok , they just used the wrong metal to build it so it came out light , boats aren't designed to have some of the prop/screw out of the water which the ben had when un ballasted,

Edited by WTF