Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, my German friends due to visit for the MGP have just emailed to advise that they had been turned away at Heysham due to no available space on the remaining sailings during the shortened MGP period. They were looking forward to travelling on the Manxman as per their tickets but having arrived at Heysham they were advised that there was not enough available space on the replacement BMC sailings to allow them to travel.

For the first time in 37 years (covering TT, MGP or Southern) they have been unable to get a crossing to the Island and are now returning to Germany via a trip round the Yorkshire Dales. And are seriously reviewing whether to come to the Island again.

Well done to all concerned.

All the sailings have only been sold to BMC capacity until 1st September (according to the travel shop). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

All the sailings have only been sold to BMC capacity until 1st September (according to the travel shop). 

That is certainly what was publicised, so it should make no odds which vessel did the sailing. Nothing was cancelled today either, so I don't understand Non-Believer's post this evening saying that his German friends have "just emailed" that they had been turned away. Unless it happened on Saturday and they've only just let him know.

• Like 1

Just now, woolley said:

That is certainly what was publicised, so it should make no odds which vessel did the sailing. Nothing was cancelled today either, so I don't understand Non-Believer's post this evening saying that his German friends have "just emailed" that they had been turned away. Unless it happened on Saturday and they've only just let him know.

The only issue should be cabins that aren't available or one of the lounges that aren't on the Ben.

40 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The only issue should be cabins that aren't available or one of the lounges that aren't on the Ben.

But again they shouldn't have been selling those if they were only selling up to the limits of the Ben.  I wonder if, because the Saturday sailings (and they lost three of those) would have contained a lot of MGP competitors etc, whether they shunted those onto Sunday sailings and 'bumped' those already booked so as to ensure racing went ahead.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But again they shouldn't have been selling those if they were only selling up to the limits of the Ben.  I wonder if, because the Saturday sailings (and they lost three of those) would have contained a lot of MGP competitors etc, whether they shunted those onto Sunday sailings and 'bumped' those already booked so as to ensure racing went ahead.

This is also my take on what's happened Roger (at this point I'm still trying to find out further info) but it appears that they were told that despite being booked, that they'd "just have to wait" (at facility-free Heysham), open-ended, in the hope of getting on a sailing "sometime". Bearing in mind that these guys have ridden across Europe to Rotterdam on motorcycles, crossed to Hull then Hull to Heysham only to find out that their bookings were cancelled. I attach a further excerpt from the email which may shed further light, as soon as I get any further news I'll post it up if possible.

Screenshot_20230822-055947_Outlook.jpg

55 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

This is also my take on what's happened Roger (at this point I'm still trying to find out further info) but it appears that they were told that despite being booked, that they'd "just have to wait" (at facility-free Heysham), open-ended, in the hope of getting on a sailing "sometime". Bearing in mind that these guys have ridden across Europe to Rotterdam on motorcycles, crossed to Hull then Hull to Heysham only to find out that their bookings were cancelled. I attach a further excerpt from the email which may shed further light, as soon as I get any further news I'll post it up if possible.

Screenshot_20230822-055947_Outlook.jpg

we had friends from holland coming over that were due on saturday , they got cancelled/postponed until thursday or friday this week ( long vehicle ) and so they went up to the lake district, on sunday  they got a phone call saying there was space on whatever boat sails sunday night if they could get to the port by X o'clock , they arrived yesterday first thing , so 'they' were dealt with earlier than expected and i guess that's a plus .  the situation is still proper shit though, just as expected with anything with government involvement

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

1 hour ago, WTF said:

we had friends from holland coming over that were due on saturday , they got cancelled/postponed until thursday or friday this week ( long vehicle ) and so they went up to the lake district, on sunday  they got a phone call saying there was space on whatever boat sails sunday night if they could get to the port by X o'clock , they arrived yesterday first thing , so 'they' were dealt with earlier than expected and i guess that's a plus .  the situation is still proper shit though, just as expected with anything with government involvement

1. Ever since the 2023 timetables and sailings were uploaded, and Mx was tentatively shown as starting operations in late May, mid July and then mid August, bookings on Mx service were limited to Ben capacity for cars and passengers and you couldn’t book cabins or lounges, just in case.

Once 17/8 became definitive accommodation booking was opened.

Forget Mx, if we’d had a GP weekend with the weather causing cancellations to Ben and Mannanan the result would have been the same, more or less, although Ben would probably have sailed Saturday daytime, as it appears to have been crewing rather than weather that led to the canx.

If a sailing is delayed then you take the passengers as booked and hope to catch up. If it’s canx you don’t bump passengers from their subsequent sailings.  That never happens, for legal, regulatory, compensation based reasons.

SPCo seem to have truly messed up. Start up has been delayed so long, why tempt fate, why not delay until after GP? Why was Arrow not available

@Roger Mexico  would GP competitors really have been arriving at 6pm Saturday, with practices starting on Sunday? They need to set up their workshops, paddock or rented garage base and do some fettling?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Arms length. No interference and they certainly have nothing to do with when the boat sails/allocation of spaces. It was a dumb ass statement at the end of an otherwise Ok post 😀

arms length = in charge with no liability . 

1 hour ago, WTF said:

arms length = skim off the profits with no liability . 

Fixed!

When you buy a passage with iomspco aren't they entering into a contract to deliver on?

Because I think it's absolutely bizarre that a company with four vessels serving a route with a ten-hour turnaround has to turn away business at one of the busiest (and most profitable!) times of the year.

They must have contingency plans. Which apparently at the very least need updating...?

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Fixed!

When you buy a passage with iomspco aren't they entering into a contract to deliver on?

Because I think it's absolutely bizarre that a company with four vessels serving a route with a ten-hour turnaround has to turn away business at one of the busiest (and most profitable!) times of the year.

They must have contingency plans. Which apparently at the very least need updating...?

they were going to fly people in  instead,, oh wait..........................................