Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM leads this morning on the Nautilus Union balloting members over industrial action. 

So far, it’s teachers, nurses and now Steam Packet crew members in dispute with IOMG or its ‘arms length’ bodies. Not good at all especially with all the dick waving over the new boat. 

It’s over the new roster, 2 weeks on & 2 weeks off 

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

…and that’s why both P&O Ferries and Irish Ferries did what they did in sacking all their unionised staff.

What do you suggest IOMSPC sack all their unionised staff? Can you imagine the shit storm and negative publicity that would entail along with the ‘tax haven’ bashing. 

They tried to implement the 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off on the Mannanan but their crews adopted a 10 days on 5 days off rota. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

…and that’s why both P&O Ferries and Irish Ferries did what they did in sacking all their unionised staff.

Which was an absolutely disgusting thing to do.  It is how you lose and demotivate skilled staff and end up replacing them with cheap labour and a drop in standards.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BillyNoMates said:

outriage would last five minutes then people care more about rpices than people 

I am sure they would love to fund all the settlement agreements that would be required to undertake such action or, alternatively, the cost of paying for the cases before an employment tribunal

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm sure IOMSPCo finds it frustrating after 2.5 years of negotiations as well.

I'll bet it's not as frustrating as having to stay on the boat when you only live just down the road...

Where is the advantage in a 2 week on 2 week off rota? Presumably alternating day and night shifts as well?

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I'll bet it's not as frustrating as having to stay on the boat when you only live just down the road...

Where is the advantage in a 2 week on 2 week off rota? Presumably alternating day and night shifts as well?

Well it would depend on their residential status, wouldn't it? Remember that (probably) the majority of crew are not IOM residents or indeed UK citizens as they are engaged on a seasonal basis from across the globe with work permits to fit the job.

When was the last time you travelled on IOMSPCo vessel?

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Well it would depend on their residential status, wouldn't it? Remember that (probably) the majority of crew are not IOM residents or indeed UK citizens as they are engaged on a seasonal basis from across the globe with work permits to fit the job.

The senior crew are all likely to be Isle of Man or UK based though.

The rest of the crew may well be non-resident but that probably depends on the rules for vessels operating mainly within UK and Manx waters which I don't know anything about.  I think it depends on where the vessel is registered,  how long it spends in territorial waters etc.

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Off-island crew are put up in accommodation on-island between shifts, so it would remove that expense.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

What do you suggest IOMSPC sack all their unionised staff? Can you imagine the shit storm and negative publicity that would entail along with the ‘tax haven’ bashing. 

I didn’t suggest that the Steam Packet should do that. It was a disgraceful thing to do.

I’m just pointing out that the other providers on the Irish Sea did do that. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they got a new crew in that they could come to an agreement with.

The off-Island crew are employed in Guernsey already.

And let’s be honest. The outrage would last about two weeks, just like it did with P&O Ferries. There even wasn’t any outrage when Irish Ferries did it.

Edited by Ringy Rose

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Off-island crew are put up in accommodation on-island between shifts, so it would remove that expense.

I didn’t suggest that the Steam Packet should do that. It was a disgraceful thing to do.

I’m just pointing out that the other providers on the Irish Sea did do that. They couldn’t come to an agreement so they got a new crew in that they could come to an agreement with.

The off-Island crew are employed in Guernsey (no employer NICs) already.

And let’s be honest. The outrage would last about two weeks, just like it did with P&O Ferries. There even wasn’t any outrage when Irish Ferries did it.

What’s the point of all the crew cabins on manxman if they putting all their crew up in hotels? Doesn’t make any sense when can live onboard 

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

July 3rd

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

They tried to implement the 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off on the Mannanan but their crews adopted a 10 days on 5 days off rota.

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The off-Island crew are employed in Guernsey already.

Maybe it was a disgraceful thing to do, but you COULD understand it when they were in competition with other firms in the same market who were doing precisely that, rendering their business non-viable on the existing terms and conditions.

The only other variable would be if the states involved denied access to their ports for ships using cheap labour. Then it's a level playing field and the user pays in higher tariffs.