Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

Jarndyce 

Are purple “foundation garments” fundamentally offensive

hours ago, Gladys said:

Not even purple! As if I would wear such an offensive item?

I'm confused?  I thought were talking about knickers? :o Corsets?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I know I'm a total moron, but a short ship with high sides in the Irish Sea?

Usually a longer vessel will handle heavier seas better.  However this is based on open ocean, long period swells.  We rarely get those, our swell period is generally very short, choppy waves.  So potentially a shorter boat might be better.  

I'm not a marine engineer, this is purely me musing. 

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It’s meant to shut the engine off isn’t it?

It’s a hybrid.

I’d guess that the pilot suggestion is likely on the money. 

It's not a hybrid in the usual car sense.  The engines charge a battery.  The battery then runs the propulsion.  I don't think you can bypass the battery and propel it directly using diesel engines.  I would have thought you can however run it on the battery for a bit without the engine running.  

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Usually a longer vessel will handle heavier seas better.  However this is based on open ocean, long period swells.  We rarely get those, our swell period is generally very short, choppy waves.  So potentially a shorter boat might be better.  

I'm not a marine engineer, this is purely me musing. 

It's not a hybrid in the usual car sense.  The engines charge a battery.  The battery then runs the propulsion.  I don't think you can bypass the battery and propel it directly using diesel engines.  I would have thought you can however run it on the battery for a bit without the engine running.  

Aren't the batteries used to power the thrusters to maneuver the vessel in ports & berthing? 

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Aren't the batteries used to power the thrusters to maneuver the vessel in ports & berthing? 

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought it's like a super efficient WW2 Diesel Electric submarine.  All propulsion is powered by batteries which are charged by a diesel engine.  The diesel engines can then be run at their optimal range, not continually revved up and down depending on speed requirements.  This is one of the reasons it's so efficient.  I could be wrong though. 

From the SPC FAQ page

WHAT ARE MANXMAN’S GREEN CREDENTIALS? 

Manxman will be powered by the world’s most efficient four-stroke diesel engine. Recognised for its high level of fuel efficiency which significantly reduces exhaust emissions, it will help us to deliver a far more sustainable and environmentally friendly operation overall. 

The highly efficient generators sets will feed electric final drives, coupled to highly efficient propellors to ensure a vibration free crossing. Any excess electricity generated will be stored by the vessel’s on board batteries, which will be used during periods of higher demand, or while the vessel is alongside in port to reduce emissions.

Edited by The Phantom

It amazes me that the Manxman managed to sail all the way to the Isle of Man from South Korea without any issues and yet as soon as she is in Manx waters all the local experts appear to tell us what a bad design she is, how unsafe she is, and how it will struggle in high winds...

Seriously people!  The ship can probably manage in conditions that most of us would not want to sail in.  As it is a large majority of the weather cancellations for the Ben & Manannan are nothing to do with vessel safety or capability but are down to passenger comfort.  The safety concern in rough weather is not the vessel but passengers walking around and falling, losing their balance or simply tripping in the rough conditions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 1