Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

AIS Tracker says that Manxman is on its way back on the Heysham-Douglas route, currently doing 17 knots.

The track history showed a slowdown for about 20 minutes shortly after 11, but it was soon back up to normal speed, until it slowed down for entry to the port.

Not unexpected for a new vessel I guess, they still have staff to train and like driving a new car you'd be very cautious about any squeaks and rattles until confidence is built up.  

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It amazes me that the Manxman managed to sail all the way to the Isle of Man from South Korea without any issues and yet as soon as she is in Manx waters all the local experts appear to tell us what a bad design she is, how unsafe she is, and how it will struggle in high winds...

Seriously people!  The ship can probably manage in conditions that most of us would not want to sail in.  As it is a large majority of the weather cancellations for the Ben & Manannan are nothing to do with vessel safety or capability but are down to passenger comfort.  The safety concern in rough weather is not the vessel but passengers walking around and falling, losing their balance or simply tripping in the rough conditions.

It did have issues which is the whole point of a shakedown cruise.

Although I did wonder after journeying from S Korea why it had to ride out Storm Betty in the lee of the island...?

7 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Any idea why she was about 2 hours late leaving Douglas this morning?

Think it was something to do with the 3 boats all being there and it being off the berth.

They had to get the others in and away first as think there fitting in an extra sailing some time today. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gizo said:

It was scheduled for 08:00 departure, left the harbour before 9, and by 10am it was over a third of the way there. 

Manx Radio reports a "minor issue" - https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manxman-experiences-minor-issue-on-way-to-heysham/

Edited by The Bastard

55 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought it's like a super efficient WW2 Diesel Electric submarine.  All propulsion is powered by batteries which are charged by a diesel engine.  The diesel engines can then be run at their optimal range, not continually revved up and down depending on speed requirements.  This is one of the reasons it's so efficient.  I could be wrong though. 

From the SPC FAQ page

WHAT ARE MANXMAN’S GREEN CREDENTIALS? 

Manxman will be powered by the world’s most efficient four-stroke diesel engine. Recognised for its high level of fuel efficiency which significantly reduces exhaust emissions, it will help us to deliver a far more sustainable and environmentally friendly operation overall. 

The highly efficient generators sets will feed electric final drives, coupled to highly efficient propellors to ensure a vibration free crossing. Any excess electricity generated will be stored by the vessel’s on board batteries, which will be used during periods of higher demand, or while the vessel is alongside in port to reduce emissions.

Yeah, that's exactly how I understood it to work too.

https://www.wartsila.com/marine/products/ship-electrification-solutions/hybrid-solutions

It looks like the system offers a lot of flexibility in how it's used, and what it replaces.

In theory, it looks really promising, though that's based on their marketing materials.

An engine that's always run in 'ideal' scenarios is bound to fare better.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It amazes me that the Manxman managed to sail all the way to the Isle of Man from South Korea without any issues and yet as soon as she is in Manx waters all the local experts appear to tell us what a bad design she is, how unsafe she is, and how it will struggle in high winds...

Seriously people!  The ship can probably manage in conditions that most of us would not want to sail in.  As it is a large majority of the weather cancellations for the Ben & Manannan are nothing to do with vessel safety or capability but are down to passenger comfort.  The safety concern in rough weather is not the vessel but passengers walking around and falling, losing their balance or simply tripping in the rough conditions.

Which bit of it cant be managed in high winds in the 2 small ports it is supposed to dock in cant you understand?

It could do multiple laps of the whole world okay AFAIK it just cant dock where it should do.

Or for that matter, or stay berthed in Douglas in a minor storm.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I think she left 35 minutes late this morning. Didn't leave Heysham until almost 4pm.

ETA: If it was supposed to be an 8am departure, she left 1hr 20mins late.

Edited by woolley
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Which bit of it cant be managed in high winds in the 2 small ports it is supposed to dock in cant you understand?

It could do multiple laps of the whole world okay AFAIK it just cant dock where it should do.

Or for that matter, or stay berthed in Douglas in a minor storm.

You know the capabilities of the thrusters then, do you?

1 minute ago, woolley said:

You know the capabilities of the thrusters then, do you?

No but your are smarter than that, have you not read the press releases? And What John has said?

I am still on the gov tender portal and they are looking for quotes to supply BIG tug boats. Read into that what you may.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Just like a diesel-electric train. One advantage is that there is no gearbox. The engine drives an electrical generator that drives electric motors - just like on The Cabbage if you recall (and on that icon the only item that did not fail was the generator - but I could be wrong about that)

Earlier this year the Manxman failed its first trial because of a faulty gearbox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1