Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

12 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

No but your are smarter than that, have you not read the press releases? And What John has said?

I am still on the gov tender portal and they are looking for quotes to supply BIG tug boats. Read into that what you may.

Which press releases? From whom?

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If I ran a ferry company and bought a brand new ferry designed to run in the Irish Sea I would want to test the absolute fuck out of it before fully scheduling it. Like, way beyond what people would think is necessary. 

And I would want to do it to cover all eventualities while gaining the best knowledge and while there were other boats to do the scheduled runs. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Just like a diesel-electric train. One advantage is that there is no gearbox. The engine drives an electrical generator that drives electric motors - just like on The Cabbage if you recall (and on that icon the only item that did not fail was the generator - but I could be wrong about that)

Earlier this year the Manxman failed its first trial because of a faulty gearbox.

37 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Yeah, that's exactly how I understood it to work too.

https://www.wartsila.com/marine/products/ship-electrification-solutions/hybrid-solutions

It looks like the system offers a lot of flexibility in how it's used, and what it replaces.

In theory, it looks really promising, though that's based on their marketing materials.

An engine that's always run in 'ideal' scenarios is bound to fare better.

So basically its better to think of the engines as generators.

30 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I am still on the gov tender portal and they are looking for quotes to supply BIG tug boats. Read into that what you may.

Yes. I see they are after a tug.

https://in-tendhost.co.uk/iomg/aspx/viewpopup.aspx?id=e382a56f-85b2-42aa-bfe8-0153ffe0eaa9&ProjectID=3057

But presumably if the Steam Packet needs the services of one, then the Steam Packet rather than the government would be procuring it? (Or at least I would bloody well hope so!)

Edited by woolley
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

It amazes me that the Manxman managed to sail all the way to the Isle of Man from South Korea without any issues and yet as soon as she is in Manx waters all the local experts appear to tell us what a bad design she is, how unsafe she is, and how it will struggle in high winds...

Seriously people!  The ship can probably manage in conditions that most of us would not want to sail in.  As it is a large majority of the weather cancellations for the Ben & Manannan are nothing to do with vessel safety or capability but are down to passenger comfort.  The safety concern in rough weather is not the vessel but passengers walking around and falling, losing their balance or simply tripping in the rough conditions.

There is that, and also the small matter of millions of pounds worth of parked, unsecured vehicles on the decks below. In the days of the old steamers there was none of that to worry about. Anything that couldn't sit down was tied down.

51 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If I ran a ferry company and bought a brand new ferry designed to run in the Irish Sea I would want to test the absolute fuck out of it before fully scheduling it. Like, way beyond what people would think is necessary. 

Issue is the uneducated keyboard experts would be on Facebook crying because they not been on it yet and it’s not in service quick enough 

11 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Not quite correct. AIS shows the Manxman under way at 8:53.

I was on the prom this morning and noted that it pulled out of the harbour at 9.55 am (British Summer time} so it was in fact just a few minutes short of 2 hours late. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manxman1234 said:

Issue is the uneducated keyboard experts would be on Facebook crying because they not been on it yet and it’s not in service quick enough 

I think the mistake they made was putting in on the schedule. Should have only scheduled the ben and put in small print maybe served by the manxman until they were super happy. 

People should just shut the fuck up with their moaning. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Not only that but you would want to make sure the crew were entirely familiar with her operation in the various conditions.

It would be embarrassing if you spent all that money on a new vessel only for the Master to ram her into a linkspan and put both out of commission. 

You would also want to ensure the engineering crew were fully familiar with the engine operations, diagnostics and what is considered normal operating parameters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2