Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

40 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

That's not twice the weight though. GRT is a measure of volume, not mass. You need displacement for the ship's weight but can't seem to find the info for BMC or Manxman.

The original poster said nearly double. Mx is nearly double Ben. I’m aware GT is a measure of displacement. But it’s a good approximation.

GT of a boat is equal to the weight of the water it displaces when it is put in water. That displacement is the weight of the boat. 

You say it yourself. There’s a direct correlation between the weight of water displaced and volume. I litre = Ikg. A floating ship displaces the volume ( weight ) of water the ship weighs.

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The original poster said nearly double. Mx is nearly double Ben. I’m aware GT is a measure of displacement. But it’s a good approximation.

GT of a boat is equal to the weight of the water it displaces when it is put in water. That displacement is the weight of the boat. 

You say it yourself. There’s a direct correlation between the weight of water displaced and volume. I litre = Ikg. A floating ship displaces the volume ( weight ) of water the ship weighs.

You are confusing GRT with displacement. 2 x GRT does not equate to 2 x displacement.

Gross tonnage is a measure of a ship's overall internal volume and is determined by dividing by 100 the contents, in cubic feet, of the vessel's enclosed spaces. GT applies to the vessel, not to cargo. It measures the ship's volume and has nothing to do with weight.

22 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

You are confusing GRT with displacement. 2 x GRT does not equate to 2 x displacement.

Gross tonnage is a measure of a ship's overall internal volume and is determined by dividing by 100 the contents, in cubic feet, of the vessel's enclosed spaces. GT applies to the vessel, not to cargo. It measures the ship's volume and has nothing to do with weight.

No. I’m not. I’ve never used GRT in my posts, and I’m aware of the differences GT, displacement, GRT and mass. And the changes caused by Temperature, atmospheric pressure and cargo carried, as appropriate.

Just now, John Wright said:

No. I’m not. I’ve never used GRT in my posts, and I’m aware of the differences GT, displacement, GRT and mass. And the changes caused by Temperature, atmospheric pressure and cargo carried, as appropriate.

So what is the displacement of each of BMC and Manxman?

And what is the Gross Tonnage of BMC and Manxman?

The Gross Tonnage may be roughly twice, but I don't believe the displacement will be.

13 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The bloke in charge when the Manxman was ordered, Mark Woodward, had been there since Sea Containers days. And the new Ops Manager is from Dubai.

If you look at the Steam Packet's own timeline though, the tender process started in October 2019, well after the Steam Packet had been acquired by Manx Government in May 2018.  It was known that a new boat was in the pipeline (and this was discussed on MF at the time of acquisition) but final decisions and the go-ahead would have been under IOMG influence.

The fact that long-timers Woodward and John Watt were both retired at the same time in July 2021 (Woodward was probably only late 50s) and that Woodward was replaced by a civil servant rather than someone from another shipping company suggests a desire for closer control.

How much influence this had over the specification of the new boat is another matter and the pre-IOMG Steam Packet was just as capable of making bad decisions as its successor.  But the process may not have been free from government influence.

Incidentally, while Kane Taha, the Operations Director, worked in Dubai for six years before that, prior to that he was a Captain etc with the Steam Packet from 2000-15.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally, while Kane Taha, the Operations Director, worked in Dubai for six years before that, prior to that he was a Captain etc with the Steam Packet from 2000-15.

Indeed he was. Which rather undermines the whole “they’ve stuffed the Steam Packet with idiot civil servants who know nothing of the sea” argument.

The MD isn’t a classic civil servant either, what with his degree and career in marine engineering.

Still, I’m sure people on Manx Forums know better about ships.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 3