Follow the Manxman from South Korea

Albert Tatlock

Just been reading on the IOM Newspaper website, reporting of the Manxmans arrival In Southampton. There is an invite only opportunity to tour the vessel on July 9th. Needless to say, you can imagine the MHKs and MLCs and the great and good will be first to go round, be feted, fawned over and get their noses in the trough. Plenty to drink and an opportunity for our esteemed COMIN to celebrate.

What about those who sail on the Ben, Mannanan and sail on the new Manxman on a monthly basis? This includes many posters on here. Let’s face it, many of our politicos wouldn’t bother using the SPC, unless it was free passage. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 3

I would hope that Mannanan Executive Club members would get an invite? I doubt it, it’s just an opportunity for CM Cannan to look important, have a drink …. or two, and for other politicos to dream up ways to waste taxpayers cash. To be honest, the Manxman should be sailing non stop, earning its keep, there shouldn’t be any opportunity for photo opportunities or junkets. If the politicos want to see the Manxman, perhaps they can go on the round the island cruise next year, and like the rest of the GMP, pay!

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is a link to the report:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/manxman-arrives-in-uk-waters-for-final-preparations-before-home-622763

Perhaps the Steam Packet might publish a list of the people who have been invited - along with the reason they were invited. And if there is any free food.

CM Cannan

Kate Lord Brennan

Professor Ashford - he will no doubt have an intimate working knowledge of the Manxman

Minister Thomas - another expert who no doubt will have knowledge of roro car ferries

Clare Barber - will want to see what it’s catering facilities are like - shop local and all that

Tim Johnson - on behalf of the farmers 

Alex Allinson - to see where money is wasted, and do nothing.

Jane Poole Wilson - perhaps the Manxman has cells? 

Julie Edge - how does the grub compare to school dinners?

Hooperman - has the Manxman got medical facilities?

Mr Squeaker - maybe he will want to check the onboard shop, and buy some paracetamol? 

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I would hope that Mannanan Executive Club members would get an invite? I doubt it, it’s just an opportunity for CM Cannan to look important, have a drink …. or two, and for other politicos to dream up ways to waste taxpayers cash. To be honest, the Manxman should be sailing non stop, earning its keep, there shouldn’t be any opportunity for photo opportunities or junkets. If the politicos want to see the Manxman, perhaps they can go on the round the island cruise next year, and like the rest of the GMP, pay!

I hope they have an open day for the public when she arrives in Douglas, like they did for the Ben.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/manxman-arrives-in-uk-waters-for-final-preparations-before-home-622763

Perhaps the Steam Packet might publish a list of the people who have been invited - along with the reason they were invited. And if there is any free food.

It’s meant to be new but it’s already got  over 10,000 nautical miles on the clock. 

Delivery mileage my arse.

Edited by Primator

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

It's a wonderfully inept bit of PR, even by (pseudo-)governmental standards.  Presumably there will be a whole range of events to 'introduce' the boat in July and some will be directed towards particular groups (travel trade, corporate customers, Executive Club members, SP staff) and some more general, though possibly having to be ticketed in some way to limit numbers.  Why not just say that and that the first of these is hoped to be on 9 July?  They can't be completely certain till the fitting out and voyage has finished.

Instead someone's obviously made the effort to write a press release that reads as it's saying "Keep out you plebs!".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I hope they have an open day for the public when she arrives in Douglas, like they did for the Ben.

Sadly I think they are only interested in the politicos, the great and the good and the islands assorted useless tossers, who contribute nothing, whilst the GMT and paying public will be paying for this new facility. 

SP requested use of Douglas Head as viewing area for July 9. Not sure what all they want to do there, but this would indicate the boat gets here on that day. Might get a bit busy up there.

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

SP requested use of Douglas Head as viewing area for July 9. Not sure what all they want to do there, but this would indicate the boat gets here on that day. Might get a bit busy up there.

the road will get closed like it did for the red arrows,  i wonder how many drones will be following it once it gets close enough to shore?

9 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Yes I remember that. I went and it wasn’t overcrowded so shouldn’t be a problem for a bigger boat.

If there is just an invite only occasion that would be a shame and would be cocking a snook at the public. 

Especially as the SP have, quite rightly, enjoyed the publics goodwill during the airport shenanigans. Be a shame to lose that.