Air Mail

Amadeus

10 hours ago, Satan666 said:

He thinks they’re providing a great service and are well run. He’s stated that previously on here. Despite them throwing tens of thousands down the drain by allowing staff to abuse the vans to such a degree in their last auctioning off, late last year, they ALL went for at least £5k under book value! Well managed - not!

Says you? Can you think of a single sensible reason (outside the usual conspiracy theories) why IOMP would allow staff to 'abuse' vans (I expect they simply have a hard life) and sell the vans off at £5k under book? Maybe book reflects lower mileage/work cycles. If I was buying a van I'd steer clear of anything doing that sort of stop/start mileage and use. But hey, if you're right and can save that amount of money without the entire staff walking out in protest, I'm sure we could find you a results-based job.

5 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Says you? Can you think of a single sensible reason (outside the usual conspiracy theories) why IOMP would allow staff to 'abuse' vans (I expect they simply have a hard life) and sell the vans off at £5k under book? Maybe book reflects lower mileage/work cycles. If I was buying a van I'd steer clear of anything doing that sort of stop/start mileage and use. But hey, if you're right and can save that amount of money without the entire staff walking out in protest, I'm sure we could find you a results-based job.

The vans do get treated roughly, but look at any courier firm and you’ll see them treated exactly the same, they’re a tool for a job and when that job is driving down farm tracks and up/down curbs all day it’s little wonder they’re absolutely trashed and 5k under book.

• Like 1

Want to see abused vans owned by the tax payer? .. take a look at the back of the Police yard.  Never get to hear about those that get smashed up.  There was one up there with the entire front smashed in.  Another looked like it had been used as a bumper car.

PO vans, like most gov. vehicles are owned until the warranty runs out.  Quite why we have government fleet garages is beyond me.  

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Chris Thomas was chairman before me, so the second part of your post (geddit?) is nonsense. The first part is a typical 'man down the pub' work of fiction and does a great disservice to the team of people trying to improve the service. There's certainly been no failure to plan, but these bespoke things invariably don't work straight out of the box and require a period of fettling.

Really? You need to actually put your foot through the door sometime.  

• Haha 1

Personally, I think scrapping the planes is great. Everything delivered by surface means no excuse to not transport fluids any more, allowing things like perfume and alcohol (not booze), paint, etc. to be delivered.

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 1

It depends on how much people are prepared to tolerate only the slower, less efficient mail delivery. Airmail serves a purpose, that of a fast, priority delivery (at least until it gets to IoM) from the UK mainland, at a price. That is currently at least an option available to individuals and businesses wishing to avail themselves of it and where it may be advantageous.

That option could be removed meaning that there will be only the bog standard speed available. And like so many cuts now being foisted upon us on the Island, our options are once again being reduced although the prices for those lower grade remaining choices inevitably rise until they match the price of what used to be the premium service.

This suits only two groups. Royal Mail shareholders and our own bloated, profligate government. And in the case of the latter for sure, the wishes of the GMP rarely get a look in.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NoTailT said:

‘Improve service’ yet slow down deliveries and drive more revenue to the Gov owned ferry service. Typical IOMG cartel mentality. Bet they won’t pay the same as the couriers.

Did you read the article it’s Royal Mail looking to scrap planes not Iom post!!

17 hours ago, Banker said:

Did you read the article it’s Royal Mail looking to scrap planes not Iom post!!

Thank you! The usual suspects on here are so convinced everything is a gubmint conspiracy to rip them off they never read anything before spewing a load of bollox.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:48 PM, Stu Peters said:

Says you? Can you think of a single sensible reason (outside the usual conspiracy theories) why IOMP would allow staff to 'abuse' vans (I expect they simply have a hard life) and sell the vans off at £5k under book?

The vans are totally abused and at auction it’s generally only builders that buy as they’re shagged. It’s just another symptom of workers who simply don’t care as they have no respect for their employer. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The vans are totally abused and at auction it’s generally only builders that buy as they’re shagged. It’s just another symptom of workers who simply don’t care as they have no respect for their employer. 

They're delivery vans. Most delivery vans are shagged, see the ex DHL, DPD etc. ones at auction across.

Stop start all day is about the worst thing you can do for a vehicle.

You could probably work out the time/cost trade-off in taking a bit more care of them.

But, seat bolsters will still be shot, the engines will still be idling all day, they'll still be on and off kerbs all day and up single track lanes etc.

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

They're delivery vans. Most delivery vans are shagged, see the ex DHL, DPD etc. ones at auction across.

Stop start all day is about the worst thing you can do for a vehicle.

You could probably work out the time/cost trade-off in taking a bit more care of them.

But, seat bolsters will still be shot, the engines will still be idling all day, they'll still be on and off kerbs all day and up single track lanes etc.

Exactly all vans are the same, offshore just likes to make shit up particularly about government bodies, DBC, hospital eyc etc