Joney and the Bishop

hissingsid

I did not envisage I would ever agree with Joney about anything political but in this case she has got a point.    There is a man, the new bishop, who has little or no knowledge of the weird and wonderful workings of our political scene on the Island who is going to be sitting in Tynwald in an unelected  role and he will have a vote on important Island issues.   May even have the vote that effects a very important law such as the assisted dying bill amongst others.    If he gets chucked out we will no longer be allocated a Bishop on the Island which will be tricky for the C of E community as his work I should imagine is largely administrative these days and decision making.   Perhaps if he was invited to sit in Tynwald in an advisory capacity without voting powers that would be a solution.   I do not think the Bishop should have a vote despite being a church goer and of C of E faith.   

• Like 9

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I did not envisage I would ever agree with Joney about anything political but in this case she has got a point.    There is a man, the new bishop, who has little or no knowledge of the weird and wonderful workings of our political scene on the Island who is going to be sitting in Tynwald in an unelected  role and he will have a vote on important Island issues.   May even have the vote that effects a very important law such as the assisted dying bill amongst others.    If he gets chucked out we will no longer be allocated a Bishop on the Island which will be tricky for the C of E community as his work I should imagine is largely administrative these days and decision making.   Perhaps if he was invited to sit in Tynwald in an advisory capacity without voting powers that would be a solution.   I do not think the Bishop should have a vote despite being a church goer and of C of E faith.   

I don't think many would argue with you but it won't go through because there is a rather large church lobby. You only have to listen to the nonsensical arguements about keeping prayers in the house of keys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I understand Iran is the only other country that has religious leaders in their parliament.

There's also an obscure theocracy called the United Kingdom (though given some of the other people in the House of Lords, the Bishops are the least of their worries).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's also an obscure theocracy called the United Kingdom (though given some of the other people in the House of Lords, the Bishops are the least of their worries).

Ah yes, "The Right Honourable the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament assembled."

Given my right of centre upbringing I agree with Joney on a number of issues, this included. We’ll probably be outvoted again but our numbers grow each administration.  Bish is a lovely guy and often makes good points, but that isn’t the point.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Given my right of centre upbringing I agree with Joney on a number of issues, this included. We’ll probably be outvoted again but our numbers grow each administration.  Bish is a lovely guy and often makes good points, but that isn’t the point.

He should just stand for election, it's a very low bar.

• Haha 1